help me build a system for $1200

I am a medical student, and as such, already have tons of debt to begin with. That said, I've been wanting to upgrade my current system (cambridge audio CD player, squeezebox v3, a 10 year old NAD receiver, and a pair of minipod speakers that I received for free). I will probably keep the cambridge audio CD player for now.

So I've been perusing audiogon incessantly the last week or so...but can't seem to come up with a good integrated/speakers combo. I have thought about the following systems:

Onix sp-3 (for about 500-600 + onix ref 1/epos M5
musical fidelity ($700)+ quad 11L
jolida 502b + something in the 600-700 range

and this last crazy idea:

sonic impact super T amp ($150!) + an efficient speaker in the $1000 range (suggestion?)

I'd love to hear your comments.

John

p.s. This new system will be used almost exclusively for music. My current room is pretty small I'd say about 13x20 with 9 ft. ceiling. My musical taste is mostly indie rock...with the occasional jazz and "electronic" thrown in.
eungdamr

Showing 1 response by daimbert

Well I think you should keep your SB3 and just upgrade the digital out later on which combine with a decent DAC would sound alot better the Cambridge. As for integrated combo you cannot go wrong with the Onix sp3. I have it paired with GMA Europas (another speaker you should check out) with a modified SB2 and my system sounds amazing. Don't let the power rating sway you because it really has alot of ommph and drive my 90db speakers very very loud. Epos are good choice I think you can get the M12 for around 600+. Good luck.