HELP I Need advice SME 3009 vs. 309

I took the analog dive 1 month ago, I purchased a Vpi Hw19 mkII it came with a Sme 3009 arm. Don't applaud yet the problem is, before I even listened to this table,( I have No cartridge and have no Idea where to start) I ran across a deal for a SME 309 tone arm with a vpi acrylic armboard, I was wondering in you analog guy's in your infinite wisdom would help me ....should I sell the sme 3009 in favor of the 309? I want to use the Denon D103 but my preamp Conrad Johnson Pv10a is not quite up to snuff for this cartridge,,,a whole other story,,my question is this ,,given the fact I am going to fully upgrade this table over the course of time is the 3009 worth me upgrading with or should I jump on the 309?...is the 309 that much better and any suggestions on a Good cartrige in the $300-$400 range I also like the Dynavector 20x H ( hi-output)..etc,,, one last thing the preamp I want to use is the Pv10a for now but I also own the pv14L I plan on ordering the monolithic PS1 but the Denon 103 still causes problems as the CJ with the Monolithic doesn't offer enough gain( CJ pre's aren't the most quiet,,, please offer me some suggestions,,,,
braab8

Showing 1 response by cryotone

i have a just come across a mint boxed hardly ever used Thorens TD 124 mk 2 with a superb sme 3009 series 11 its fitted wuth a perfectly fine shure super track. now besides a silver rewire and phono leads upgrade after the maybe granite plinth ( whats the best for that please )what should i go for next ? I only want to spend what it deserves so nothing over the top please . many thanks Ananda