Help Choosing DAC

Hi, I have a Marantz 8b amp which I want to stream digital files from my computer. I plan to purchase some speakers (probably B&W's) used for 1500-3000 and would like to find a DAC that makes sense in this price range. Do some DAC units have the preamp built in? I am wondering if computer to DAC to amp is the right way to do this. Not familiar with DAC brands or features at all. Also what file type is best to build my library with. Thank you.
kaijorg
The implementation of a volume control in a DAC/preamp can be complicated and expensive when done correctly. Many digital attenuators simply subtract digital information to lower volume.

I would suggest you study the Empirical Audio Overdrive DAC's method of attenuation as a benchmark. Keep in mind your purchasing two components in one box. If your media is predominately digital keeping everything in the digital domain is becoming a very good thing.
"Do some DAC units have the preamp built in? I am wondering if computer to DAC to amp is the right way to do this. "

Absolutely. Next to jitter, active preamps are the biggest impediment to good SQ. Here are four ways to do this:

1) Get a DAC with a really outstanding volume control technology and sufficient drive to go to amps directly.

2) Use 100% software volume control - this will impact sound quality because you will need at least -20dB of attenuation

3) Use a DAC with gain settings that allows you to reduce the volume using software controls, but limited to about -10dB. This will not impact sound quality.

4) Use a non-volume control DAC to feed a passive transformer linestage (TVC). Decent ones start at $1500 and go to $8K.

"Also what file type is best to build my library with."

If you want the very best SQ, then .wav is it. It may not preserve all of the tags and album art. If you care about tags and album art, then FLAC for PC and AIFF or ALAC for Mac. Even if you have everything stored in ALAC or FLAC, you can change it back to .wav successfully using good tools like dbpoweramp or XLD for Mac.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
FLAC files

Lots of new DACs are coming with pre functions. Pick a budget and dive into your reviews. If you have vinyl to convert, consider http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=59
FLAC sucks with most computer interfaces. So does ALAC and even AIFF. .wav is the only pure format. If you are after the best SQ, imaging and soundstage, .wav is it. Even sounds great on an iPod or iPhone.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio