HELP best analog system brand new for $5,000.00

i have $5,000.00 to spend on analog system: turntable, arm , cartridge and phono stage. has to be brand new, please i need you help guys. thanks.-
jopi88

Showing 1 response by flyingred

I would work backwards - either a Creek or Trichord phono stage, approx $600. The Denon DL-103 is a stunningly good value for money moving coil cartridge for $200. The Rega RB250 arm takes a lot of beating and is available in modified form from Expressimo and Origin Live - I have bought an Expressimo Mongoose RB250 to play with (about $650).

We've got about $3500 left to spend (which I might not spend!) I would be tempted by a Teres Model 255 in Cocobolo for $3275 - this has the lead loaded platter and is reckoned to be the optimum 'table in their range.

The great thing about turntables is that they don't really wear out, so they are a good buy used. If you value pitch stability then a Technics SL1200 direct drive should be on your list (and can accommodate the Rega arm with an Origin Live mounting plate) or use the stock arm and fit the Kabusa damper.

If you like lively, dynamic presentation then you must consider a Linn LP12. And check out Jean Nantais' Lenco Home Depot thread here - those old idler wheel tables produce some great sounds and work particularly well with moving coil cartridges.

I would also check out the VPI range.

Finally, spending $5k is a big investment that you will want to work for a long time to come. Any hifi dealer will welcome you with open arms.

Check out lots of possibilities, take your time, enjoy choosing and don't commit until you are 110% certain that you can live with the table/arm/cartridge combo - don't buy what you haven't heard and loved.

Take along to demos a selection of vinyl that you know really well, and if you don't really enjoy all your track selections then the table on demo is not the one for you. Don't buy any sales bs.

Let us know how you get on.

Red