HELP - B&W Naut. 805's good music speakers?

I've done a lot of searching on the threads and I've seen several discussions about B&W products. Most classified ads indicate that the B&W Naut. 805's are being used only as a surround speaker. My question is if this component will make a decent primary speaker for a music only system (especially compared to the B&W CDM9NT's??? which I've heard). I have a small room and will be using a PV-10 Conrad Johnson Pre-amp and a McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe amp. Need some help?? would other speakers be better @ $1600 - $1800???
whyt_rabbit

Showing 1 response by sdcampbell

The B&W Nautilus 805's got a good review in HiFi+ magazine (a British high end audio mag), which said it is a very good speaker for most kinds of music (although not the best for rock). If you particularly need a monitor-style speaker of modest size, then the B&W 805 is certainly worth considering.

However, since you ask if there are other speakers in the $1600-1800 range that are better choices, I have to respond that for this budget I would strongly suggest the Vandersteen 2CE Signature (which was recently chosen by TAS as a "Best Buy" among speakers costing less than $2500). And if you are willing to buy used speakers, you can get the Vandersteen 3A's for around $1800, which is a full-range speaker that offers substantially better performance than the B&W 805. The Vandersteen speakers also work very well with McCormack amps.