HELP B&W 802D or Revel Ultima Salon2

Hello everyone. I'm anticipating a speaker upgrade in the not too distant future and I would appreciate any experienced opinions. I have had the opportunity to audition the 802Ds at my local dealer twice in the past week. I can get a pilomotor erection (hair standing up on arms, chills, etc.) even now simply by remembering the experience. Quite an improvement from my current Mythos ST setup. I've finally experienced some of the things I've only read about up to this point!
Now I have to wonder how good it can get at this approx. price point. I've read the reviews on the Ultima Salon2s and wonder if I might be even happier with these.
(I do realize I would need additional amplification to properly drive them)Unfortunately none of the Revel dealers in the Dallas area have any available for audition.
There exists an opportunity to purchase a lightly used pair for about the same as a new pair of 802Ds.
I would especially like to hear from anyone who has experience with both.
Thanks to all in advance.
francodanco

Showing 2 responses by tigerwoodkhorns

I have to jump on the bandwagon here. I had N801's and now have Signature 800's and there is nothing to "fix."

B&W bashing makes some feel superior. One of my favorite quotes that I read in a few threads when doing some research on the S800's was "B&W's have certain flaws that are inexcusable." Oh aren't we important! Give me a break.

To the original post, at CES last year the Revel Salon II's sounded amazing with a minimal front end system. I heard them in a room set up in a corner. This was a digital amp circuit board manufacturer that had borrowed the speakers for the show. They had them set up with a very minimal system (chip amps, Luxman CD player from the 80's). The Wilson WP8's were also a show stopper but with $150,000 of VTL front end gear (not saying that they would not be great with a lesser front end). I did not hear the B&W's atthe show.

The Theils and Ushers sounded really harsh but this was at a show so YMMV. Not exactly a fair to pass final judgment on a bad sounding setup at a show.

Personally, I would buy the Salon II's for the same price as the new B&W 802's. Less depreciation and they are just wonderful speakers, probably more in line with the B&W 800's but I am just guessing. I am obviously a B&W guy but you really cannot go wrong with the Revels and if you decide you want something else you can flip them easily (make sure you get the boxes). Your room is a good size so I am guessing that they will work well in there.
FWIW, I just read an ad where the Salon II is Stereophile's speaker of the year for 2008. if this is true I am not surprized at all, it was very impressive.

Did you get a chance to audition them yet?