Help a complete novice get a dvd player for 500.

While I have what I think is a very good 2 channel audio I know nothing about video. I want to get a dvd player for 500 or less, preferably new because of mechanical issues. I have looked at some of the threads but confess I don't undertand the various aspects eg progressive scan. It is for movies for the kids and us and in a few years I will put in a decent ht. Any advice re makes, models and features would be greatly appreciated.
gajgmusic

Showing 1 response by suits_me

If you check at harmonicdiscord in the modwright forum, you will see people seem to like the new Pioneer Elite DV-45A universal player (CD, DVD, SACD, DVD-A, and mp3, I think,) which goes online for around 420.00 to 480.00.

http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8526

For 500.00 you will get progressive scan, so you sort of don't have to worry about it.

The only other consideration might be, since your HT is a few years ago, to get a sub 200.00 DVD player until then. Technology will advance. At this price, you could get a decent Pioneer without SACD, or a Sony with SACD that some people say would not have as good a construction quality as an equivalent Pioneer.