Hegel H80 vs H160

After reading so much about how h160 is much better than h80, I got curious. I am an animal of routine. Once I found something I love I don't get curious about others... Yes, I love my H80 driving PMC FB1i. My source is OPPO103. I listen to 50% CD and 50% streaming from my Surface to OPPO (through miniport/HDMI). I listens to 95% Classical music, 5% pop.

I heard the h160 at my dealer today, then I rushed home to listen to the same tracks. Here's what I "think I heard"...

Yes, h80 is more linear/planor but there is still has plenty of depth in the sound stage. You can hear separation of a solo artist from its supporting orchestra. H160 does it a little more vividly and more zealously. Separation of instruments is already very good with h80. H160 isn't better in that regard. Sound stage emphasis in these 2 machines are different. H160 emphasizes on the individual instruments while H80 focus on the whole orchestra. With H160, the orchestra sounds like 80 individual instruments. In H80, the orchestra sounds like one orchestra made up of 80 instruments. Yes, you can still hear differently instruments clearly. The forward sounding h160 isn't better in my view, it's different.

Yes, listening to h160 can be full of adrenalin. H80 has plenty of speed and mojo. It also has much more smoothness, the color, and nuance than H160. For me, h80 wins in this regard.

One thing h160 is noticeably better is its ability to play very old recording that are extremely bad quality. The 1957 Glen Gould playing Brahms Piano Concerto sounded more lively on h160. On h80, the recording is a little dull. How often do I hear this type of bad quality recordings? Very rare, less than 5% of the time., not enough for me to sell of h80.

Here's what I find interesting... Well recorded recordings really shines with h80. Hilary Hahn playing Mendelssohn violin concerto is incredibly smooth and moving on h80. Her warm tone with the metallic edge comes through sharply. The orchestra behind her is also forceful and detailed with h80. With h160, her playing becomes a little dry and too edgy. With Martha Argerich playing Chopin's 1st concerto, that 2nd movement leaves me breathless. Her piano playing is both clean yet full of character.

So here you go! Before you rush to sell of your H80, please demo h160. Think of the pros and cons of each machine. H80 is incredibly good value for its quality. It's smoothness and its slight warmth wins me over night after night, recordings after recordings. My heart is still with it. It saddens me to see H80 being sold off like clothing going out of style.

Finally, just food for thought.. If I want something like Hegel H160, I would probably buy a used Pass INT30A for about the same price as a new H160...
fiddleronroof

Showing 1 response by fitmartin

I have had both of these and the H160 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better! if you have the right kit to go with.