Heavy Duty Binding posts for Krell KSA 250

Looking to find out if any folks out there have found and installed a more robust binding post for the older Krells, like the KSA 250. Hopefully without any modifications to the amp. The stock plastic post used on that amp does not really accommodate today's larger spaded speaker cables all that well. Any suggestions are appreciated!
badnixie2

Showing 7 responses by csontos

But there's a limit to everything. It only has to be adequate. Stay away from Chinese aluminum garbage. Audio Note makes very inexpensive gold plated 5 ways with good weight that will probably at least match your stock Krell's.
You can say whatever you want. Doesn't mean I'm going to buy it. Maybe when the op discovers his Cardas posts are horrible he'll send them to you at a discount. But I seriously doubt that.
If you were the op, I might consider it. If you were the op, you might know what happens when you assume too much. But I seriously doubt it.
I seriously doubt that. There's no way the engineer who designed an audio circuit stipulated a particular binding post in order to maintain it's performance parameters. That's ridiculous. Except maybe to expect decent quality accessories.
Binding posts with screw-down installation on bare wire can't help being inferior. Just because it will be impossible to gain intimate contact with the wire. Soldering the tips of the wire strands will help but at the microscopic level, you will invariably confirm no contact at all, just arcing to greater or lesser degrees. You can tighten them with pliers and in a week they'll be so loose you can tighten further by hand. Zero consistency in listening tests. The ultimate post is no post at all. Hence, spades and bananas should be soldered to the wire while simultaneously being crimped. I use large channel lock pliers. Now since you do have intimate contact, I would dare wager you'd never hear the difference from one post to another.
Bacon anyone? Hickory, oak, or maple? I prefer hickory myself. Not too soft because then it's stretchy. Not too hard because I don't like it really crispy either. Leathery, now that's more like it! I try to pick the package that is the meatiest too. I also don't like it really fatty:)