Hearing loss Temporary or more permanent?

Hi there So I got my system reasonably dialed enough to impress most folks (Which isnt saying much) I happen to have my system with my computer in the center for use as a media server and have my speakers just about a meter in front of me while I am at the computer and about 3 Meters at my Listening seat and am curious. I have been playing my music louder and louder lately and am noticing a temporary hearing loss that comes right back (Very minimal but I can feel it in my ears) I have done this before but my system has never sounded THIS clean and am now holding back to make certain I preserve one my most important sense aside from the all important Spider Sense

At what point and for how long playing music at not exeptionally loud (Nothing compared to the horrible car sytems I endured being stuck in for long times as a teenager) Any way its a valid question as I really want to preserve my hearing and I really want to rock out. I can go get A DB Meter if that helps. Thanks a million Toby
128x128systembuilder
I know this doesn't quite fit the OP, but i went to a bluegrass concert at the Fox Theater in Boulder last week. Sat immediately behind the mixing board and watched as the sound man carefully kept the level between 99 and 100 db. This was for the warm-up act. I left before the Stringdusters even took the stage. Take care of you ears, friends, the pros won't do it for you.
Ok I Feel better as I know I am pretty much pushing High 80's most of the time I play loud.

By the way Thorman Im 26 and all of a sudden at the coffee shop the other day there was a cute 19 year old who likes me and I thought to myself the other girl about 28-30 is a little more my age!! WHAT HAPPENED! Short story I got the 19 year olds number just to prove to myself I still could and hope it continues for a long time (As I knock on the wood of my speakers)

I appreciate all your help and wish nothing but the best
Oh and thanks Elizabeth and everyone else
Great Thread.

Thank you Elizabeth for the Radio Shack sound meter suggestion. I'll buy one tomorrow. FWIW, I copied the table below from the Mayo Clinic Health Information web site. I'm not a Doc, so I can't vouch for it, but something to think about.

Maximum sound-exposure durations

Below are the maximum noise levels on the job to which you should be exposed without hearing protection, and for how long.

Maximum job-noise exposure allowed by law

Sound level, decibels Duration, daily
90 8 hours
92 6 hours
95 4 hours
97 3 hours
100 2 hours
102 1.5 hours
105 1 hour
110 30 minutes
115 15 minutes or less

Source: Department of Labor's Occupational Safety & Health Administration, 2005

But see the following excerpt I pulled off of Wikipedia:

Louder sounds cause damage in a shorter period of time. Estimation of a "safe" duration of exposure is possible using an exchange rate of 3 dB. As 3 dB represents a doubling of intensity of sound, duration of exposure must be cut in half to maintain the same energy dose. For example, the "safe" daily exposure amount at 85 dB A, known as an exposure action value, is 8 hours, while the "safe" exposure at 91 dB(A) is only 2 hours (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 1998). Note that for some people, sound may be damaging at even lower levels than 85 dB A. Exposures to other ototoxins (such as pesticides, some medications including chemotherapy, solvents, etc.) can lead to greater susceptibility to noise damage, as well as causing their own damage. This is called a synergistic interaction.

Some American health and safety agencies (such as OSHA-Occupational Safety and Health Administration and MSHA-Mine Safety and Health Administration), use an exchange rate of 5 dB. While this exchange rate is simpler to use, it drastically underestimates the damage caused by very loud noise. For example, at 115 dB, a 3 dB exchange rate would limit exposure to about half a minute; the 5 dB exchange rate allows 15 minutes.

While OSHA, MSHA, and FRA provide guidelines to limit noise exposure on the job, there is essentially no regulation or enforcement of sound output for recreational sources and environments, such as sports arenas, musical venues, bars, etc. . . .

Many people are unaware of the presence of environmental sound at damaging levels, or of the level at which sound becomes harmful. Common sources of damaging noise levels include car stereos, children's toys, transportation, crowds, lawn and maintenance equipment, power tools, gun use, and even hair dryers. Noise damage is cumulative; all sources of damage must be considered to assess risk. If one is exposed to loud sound (including music) at high levels or for extended durations (85 dB A or greater), then hearing impairment will occur. Sound levels increase with proximity; as the source is brought closer to the ear, the sound level increases.

The bottom line, if there is one, is that 90 db may be too high. The same may be true even at 85db. It could very well be that Elizabeth's 77db guideline is conservative and the safest of all. Of course, time exposure is important too. If there are any audiologists or ENT Docs out there, please weigh in. This is a very important topic.
Update -- Heads up Fellow Baby Boomers:

I just bought the Radio Shack sound meter for $40 and tried it out on some classical and rock records. FWIW, a couple of quick observations for the benefit, and chagrin no doubt, of my fellow Baby Boomers. First and foremost, it is clear that I have been listening to my music way too loud. Second, when I turned up the volume of my sub-woofer, the sound pressure went up quite a bit. The point being that a lot of sound pressure appears to originate in the lower octaves. Unhappily, I turned down the sub woofer gain. Third and probably no surprise, rock seems to generate a more consistent level of loud music. By contrast, the sound level of classical music varies quite a bit more than rock; indeed, transients can actually be quite loud, even though average sound pressure may not be that high.

Liz: 77db is no fun! I guess it will have to become an acquired taste if I hope to keep my hearing.