Hearing issues and signal attenuation

In other forums I've discussed my age related hearing issues and how I might compensate using mechanical controls. Since those posts I've tried hearing aids but, because of the discomfort caused by them, I gave them up. My problem in a nutshell is that, although my hearing lost is bilateral starting at about 1500 Hz, the left ear hearing is somewhat more compromised. This, of course, results in my perception that center stage is off center to the right side especially at higher frequencies. I just installed new speakers (Martin Logan Ethos replacing Odysseys) which seems to have worsened this problem.

The last time I brought this up the suggestions included installation of a high quality active or passive equalizer, changing my listening position and using hearing aids. The EQ approach makes the most sense but in reviewing the several equalizers suggested I found them to be a little out of my price range. I have been considering using a good L pad to attenuate the signal to the right speaker but because the problem seems mostly related to the higher frequencies, I'm afraid that simply reducing volume to the right side will result in more heavily weighting lower frequencies to the left.

Anyway, it might be time to bite the bullet and start looking again into purchasing an equalizer. Based on the following setup I would appreciate all suggestions:

Shanling CD100, Nova Audio Nova preamp and Nova 220 amp.
128x128broadstone

Showing 1 response by buconero117

If you are having hearing problems you need to be bold, get hearing aids. They will put 'balance' into your entire life, not just your audio life. I've been a wearer of aids for seventy years. Believe me you are missing so much more enjoyment of life. I've been at this 'audio' thing for sixty of those years. Find a good, patient audiologist, one who has many musicians as clients. Programed aids will solve all your problems.