Headphone Recommendations

Requesting input from all you headphone lovers out there. I have a friend whos looking to buy some good quality headphones. Around $250 new or used is his budget and would prefer to buy new. He needs a closed over the ear style, just cant stand buds. They will be used at work mostly listening through Media Slayer, therefore a very transparent top end wouldnt be needed. Headphones with good bass is what he would prefer, his music preferences reflect that. Lots of classic rock and alternative, Floyd, Tool, etc. He has no interest in an amp or DAC at this point(he wants to save his pennies for a two channel rig) so please keep that in mind with recommendations. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated. thanks in advance, Justin.
jlind325is

Showing 1 response by jlind325is

thanks for all the suggestions guys. As i read your posts there are a few i think he will like. Grados wont work due to their shape and open air design so they are out, as well as the nicer Sennheisers. I know he will want a design that covers the ear and blocks out his music and blocks out the ambient noise of an office situation. Im thinking the Senn. HD280s might be the ticket. Since he will be listening most of the day im guessing a laid back top end would be appreciated. Do these deliver good highs but not fatiguing? and are they robust?
Fatparrot-My friend and myself have a joke going on about Windows Media Player and how it basically butchers the music so we coined it Media Slayer.

Rlwainwright-i will do some research on the AKGs, thanks

thanks again everybody