Headphone/Amp Combo for under $800

Hi All,

Headphone newbie here. I've bought a lot of hi-end audio equipment over the years, but never a set of phones. I'm looking for a neutral (free from boosted bass/treble) sounding headphone/amp combo for use mainly with music, and some TV. I listen to a vareity of music, including singer/songwriter, folk, rock, classical, acoustic, and jazz. I am willing to spend about $800 or so (maybe a bit more) for the combination. The amp will be fed from the line-out from a Tact RCS 2.2XP preamp (it doesn't have a tape-out) or possibly a digital out if the headphone amp has a D/A converter.

I've done a bunch of research, but is quite daunting and I don't have anywhere nearby to audition them. I don't know a lot about the different amps around and what are good headphone/amp combinations so thought I'd solicit opinions here. I definitely prefer a more neutral sound free from artificial bass spikes or elevated treble, which I find very fatiguing. I also would like a nice soundstage, and maybe and a mid-level presentation (not too forward or distant). I think I'd prefer around-the ear over on-the-ear phones, but am open to open or closed back. I am open to all the usual headphone suspects including Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, Grado, Beyer, etc.

I would appreciate any feedback on headphone/amp combos that might qualify for the price point.

Thanks much in advance!
smeyers

Showing 1 response by ckoffend

First, go to headfi, the website. It is all about headphone listening and amps. You will get more feedback there than here due to its specialty based site. That being said, AudiogoN is the best website in the world!

That being said, headphones are very subjective and one person's likes are very different than another person's and many people have limited experience and therefore can only make recommendations based on very restricted listening. Headfi you will find true afficianados and more experienced feedback.

things to consider:
Do you want to take you phones and amp with you when you travel?
What do you have access to listen to locally (stores, other members of this or other sites)?
Open back, closed back, in-ear, etc. . .

I had a couple of pairs of JVC Victors (very nice phones) and sold one pair to a guy who I delivered them to. A real headphone guy. He had 3 headpone amps and about $20K worth of headphones (that's why I delivered them). I got to listen to a lot of different combos and there are huge differences between amps and cans (much more so than with speakers - in general).

Why don't you start out by reporting where you are located, you may be surprised to find other members are open to helping you out (ie. listening to their equipment).