HDMI i2s Cable

I'm looking for an HDMI i2s cable to go from a Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 to a PS Audio DirectStream DAC. I realize there are a lot of options at various price points.  I'm trying to stay around $500.  Anyone have any experience with the Tubulus HDMI i2s cable?
128x128oldschool1948

Showing 8 responses by oldschool1948

@auxinput. Thanks for the advice. When it comes to i2s, I’ve read that shorter is better. The Matrix will be close enough to the DSD for a .5 meter cable. 
I’ll be running a WW Starlight USB from an Innous Zenith to the Matrix and somebody’s HDMI cable from it to the DSD. 
I'm so confused 
TUBULUS Argentus website: 
The TUBULUS Argentus i2s cable hdmi is specifically designed for i2s LVDS signal transport and therefor is not suitable as a standard HDMI TV cable.
The TUBULUS Libentus i2s cable V2 is specifically designed for i2s LVDS signal transport and therefor is not suitable as a standard HDMI TV cable.

Phasure Audio Website:

The HDMI^2 is a most robust HDMI cable meant for audio and i2s connections.

Please notice: Although the technical specifications of the cable imply a possible length that exceeds 10m most easily for even 4K video, the possible length for i2s fully depends on the sending device. To this regard it is to be noticed that i2s officially is a chip-to-chip (wire) protocol, meant to be used at very short lengths (think 10cm).

I'm moving to the Matrix because I have a number of DSD128 tracks and can only play them using USB.  When I listen to MQA and everything else using Ethernet via Bridge II, I generally like the Ethernet SQ better. Using a i2s HDMI cable, I'll be able to listen to all of my music through one cable; hopefully, with better SQ.

Once I get the Matrix, I'm going to try one of my existing "quality" HDMI cables just to hear what it sounds like, and go from there.  I only want to buy a i2s cable once, so I'm going to do some more homework, try to audition cables in my system, and then make a buying decision.
Sorry, I was being facetious. 

I understand a regular cable will work, and the cables I mentioned are only designed for i2s use.  I am leaning towards one of the TUBULUS or Phasure HDMI cables because they are purpose built.  My dealer lets me audition cables, so I plan to start there.
Thanks for the advice. 

I got the Matrix today.  It's powered by a Small Green Computer linear power supply.  It's hooked up and working.  I had to change Roon from "Low" to "Normal" latency, and I was using Roon with LMS Lite - I had to set it back to just Roon. 

I'm going to play with those settings a bit more tomorrow.  We're in the middle of a lightning storm so I powered my system down and unplugged my power conditioner from the wall. 
I’ve been listening to my favorite jazz and old school R&B songs for most of the afternoon. I can honestly say the SQ with the Matrix is clearly better than USB from the Zenith or Ethernet from my switch.

I hear more details in the music with subtleties I faintly heard and tones I never heard before. The sound is also clearer. Now I’m going to look for a much better and warmer HDMI cable.
@docroasty.  The Tubulus sounds like it will work best with my speakers my Tannoy speakers.  How flexible is the cable?  I only need about .5 meter, if that's an option.
I'm going from an Audio Matrix X-SPDIF 2 to a PS Audio DSD.  I will certainly look into the orientation before I buy.  Thanks.