Have you tried matching a stereo to your hearing?

Have you ever had a hearing test done to determine your actual hearing curve? It is my understanding that the average human hearing range is essentially an arc that tails off at high and low frequencies, but isn't necessarily a smooth line. It might be possible to tune a system to compensate for dips or peaks in ones personal hearing. It might sound terrible to everyone else, but perfect for you.

Has anyone ever tried or thought about this concept? I wonder how similar the hearing curve is for people that commonly enjoy a particular system above all else.
mceljo

Showing 1 response by buconero117

Having been hearing impaired since birth, I have a lot of experience with hearing aids and audio. Needless to say, current SOTA hearing aids, some costing over $5K each, try to match a hearing curve to the device. The problem is that few aids, even costly ones, do it effectively. I do think it is a good idea for any serious audio person to get a comprehensive hearing test. Watch out, typical tests don't go over the 8K band. So, find a real professional audiologist and tell them you want a 'broadband' test. If they ask what is that, move on quickly.