Have you ever solved a high end audio issue using non-audio technology? Or, visa versa?
Sometimes we just have to be creative to fix a problem. Our "bag of tricks" may go well beyond the usual "audiophile grade" tools of the trade to produce a positive result.
Years ago, I acquired a little British sports car. This, itself is an unusual story. I'm a performance car enthusiast with a 835HP vehicle is parked in my garage.
At any rate, the little 4-cylinder "tractor motor" had solid lifters that sounded like a Singer sewing machinegoing down the road above 3,000 RPM. It distracted from the driving experience. I was thinking how nice it would be to quiet them down a little.
Then I remembered the can of Acoustical Magic material I had in the basement. For those unfamilar with this material, it's used to dampen the vibration/resonance of turntable platters. I pulled the aluminum valve cover, cleaned and degreased it thoroughly, then applied a generous portion of Acoustical Magic. After a little curing in the oven and allowing it to set for 24 hours, the valve cover was reattached.
If I had it do over again, I would have measured before/after with a spectrum analyzer. But, my best guesstimate is that there was a 6-9db drop in the tapping sound, and I could hear the sounds around me while cruising. The driving experience improved exponentially. Thanks to Acoustical Magic for a cheap, effective solution to my "acoustical" problem.
I have to admit that a year later the true "hot rodder" in me required that I add a turbo to the little engine. The sound of the off-throttle blow off valve is music to my ears. And, driving something resembling a real sports car, as opposed to a British commuter car was a plus.