Have Passive Preamps Finally Come of Age?

Back in the late 90s (eons ago) I tried a variety of passive preamps (PPs). The most musical was an autoformer, but back then my system was not balanced. For the last decade I have been using active preamps, both tube and solid state, but finding a quality balanced preamp under $4K is damn near impossible. Enter the Parasound P5 (2.1), which in addition to having balanced I/Os, it has a separate bass management circuit (MSRP $1095), and I was hoping it would provide better control over the built in class D plates incorporated into my 2 SVS powered subs, whose volume controls are STUPIDLY sensitive: when barely cracked from zero they overwhelm. Alas, no bueno. 

Recently i watched a PS Audio YT video that was emphatic about NOT connecting powered subs with interconnects; instead he recommends speaker cables piggybacked off the main systems amp/s. I had a spare set of DIY flat copper cables, and was shocked how much better they sounded, but doing so did not change the  volume control problem and unfortunately this id not bypass the SVS amps whose class D chips are now ancient. Thinking there could be an impedance problem led me to revisit PPs.

I sold my P5 and was using the XLR outs from my Oppo 105 (upgraded power supply and IEC/wiring to the power supply) direct to my Emerald Physics 100.2SEs (class D). The noise floor dropped tremendously, allowing me a much better view into the music. My Core Power Technologies 1800 PLC had more than a little to do with this, but...  

Days of PP research later, I came across LDRs, which seem like the ultimate PP option, but XLR versions are ~ $2K and up, with the Tortuga coming in at $2700, seems like a true SOTA bargain, just not in my current budget. Scouring the' for sale' sites I came across a Hattor XLR (MSRP $995) which was in my price range. Hattor's www had links to 2 reviews both were extremely positive: one used it in combination with a class D amp. Bingo! I snapped it up.

It arrived late yesterday, although Hattor's www pictures look awesome, they do not compare to seeing and touching it. The metal carrying case was an indication of the designer's dedication. This is an etremely well made piece of kit, but how does it sound? Alas it came with no manual and Hattor's site does not have a PDF. How hard can it be to hook up? Well, after a couple scary minutes, I discovered that it would not light up until I connected the 105. 

Stone cold, the first thing that shocked me was a further reduction in noise floor and an incredibly wide and deep sound stage, but as can be expected, it was dry. Fingers crossed, in about a half hour I began to be rewarded with texture as well. Tis only got better as the night wore on

I hope somebody chimes in with their Tortuga experience, or any other high quality PP information.that goes under the reporting radar. 
tweak1
@tweak1 -

I agree totally that the P 5 is way overpriced, but it s price includes dealer margins

I meant that relative to other active pres. The P7 also includes dealer margins but it is a great value. By value I mean price vs. performance. You get much more per dollar than with the P5. My point was, of the Parasound pres you could have listened to, you listened to the worst of them.

The P7 and JC1 are far far better pres to consider as state of the art vs. a passive.

Best,

Erik
"but finding a quality balanced preamp under $4K is damn near impossible"  TO build a really good, really good balanced preamp for $4K would be a challenge IMO.  I would have to use customer transformers and they alone cost me about $800.  Happy Listening.
I've owned a Tortuga PP.  It was very good in many aspects.
However, for me, it lacked "soul"  (the ability to emotionally connect)
In the end I prefer a tube active preamp. And 6sn7 based at that.
But that;s the beauty of this hobby, there is something available for everyone.
Passive preamps are seductively transparent.  They seem like qualified components in a dealer showroom.  But living with them for longer periods can be tiring.  The PPs suck dry musical dynamics, timing and related details.  When compared side-by-side to a competent active preamp, especially better tube preamps, high frequency details, musical timing, transients, dynamic contrasts and snap are clearly superior.  With all that extra detail comes improved imaging, layering and soundstage definition.