Has anyone tried Arcam BDP300?

More specifically, has anyone compared Arcam BDP300 to Cambridge audio, Oppo or similar range "universal" players? I realize the feature set of the Arcam is very limited compared with, say Oppo 105, but the few comments available on the Internet and comments from some folks that sell both tend to indicate the Arcam has outsized video and audio performance. Reason I ask is that I have an Arcam AVR and really like the sound signature - looking to replace current CDP and BDP with one box. Streaming and SACD not critical for this application, great PQ (BD, DVD) and SQ in two (CD) and multichannel (BD) are critical.

Thanks in advance,

kn
Ag insider logo xs@2xknownothing
The Arcam BluRay Is a fine kit but it does not compete with any high end CDP in 2 channel.it is designed for video processing and multi channel audio (a manufactured process)

I would take the NAIM over the ARCAM if that Is your final short list.

I had the ARCAM FMJ CD23T with the DCS Ring DAC in a prior all FMJ system . It was arguably the best that Arcam ever made but it is long in the tooth now and reliability issues can now arise. If you can find one with low hours on it, give it an audition IMO.

The REGA Saturn is a Goliath killer that while not quite in the ISIS camp still competes way above its weight class.IMO it will best either the Arcam or Naim in the right system. (system synergy matters big time )

Your takeaway: the Swiss knife approach to CD playback with a video processor / multichannel player has significant compromises and if you want to strive for maximum resolution than a stand alone CDP is your path.
That is very helpful. One last idea would be to get the Arcam BDP and use as transport with quality two channel DAC for redbook playback. That way get BD performance of BDP300 with more versatility and higher performance in two channel, although at significantly higher price and with two boxes.
The Arcam BluRay Is a fine kit but it does not compete with any high end CDP in 2 channel.it is designed for video processing and multi channel audio (a manufactured process)

I would take the NAIM over the ARCAM if that Is your final short list.

I had the ARCAM FMJ CD23T with the DCS Ring DAC in a prior all FMJ system . It was arguably the best that Arcam ever made but it is long in the tooth now and reliability issues can now arise. If you can find one with low hours on it, give it an audition IMO.

The REGA Saturn is a Goliath killer that while not quite in the ISIS camp still competes way above its weight class.IMO it will best either the Arcam or Naim in the right system. (system synergy matters big time )

Your takeaway: the Swiss knife approach to CD playback with a video processor / multichannel player has significant compromises and if you want to strive for maximum resolution than a stand alone CDP is your path.
Thanks for your insight. Does your audio evaluation between Arcam and other two include redbook playback? Your Rega is outside my budget, but have considered just replacing my CDP with Arcam CD37 or Naim CD5XS or similar since I listen to more music. How do you think BDP300 stacks up for two channel with those dedicated CDPs? I am guessing not that favorably - no such thing as a free lunch.
I had the Cambridge 650 BD Blu-Ray player. It crapped out in year 3 (2 yr warranty)Which was a major disappointment. I upgraded to the Arcam BDP 100

My take:

(1) it is well known the operating guts of the Cambridge is identical as the OPPO. Generally both are fine kit, and the Cambridge has an upgraded power supply with a small edge in audio and small video edge IMO goes to the OPPO.

(2) The Arcam bests both in both audio and video reproduction.

I don't do SACD and I have a REGA Osiris CDP for 2 channel that is a quantum leap up for redbook and XRCD CDs.

For Bluray concerts and video in my HT , the Arcam is the clear winner for my experiences.

Add to it the Arcam 5 year warranty and my choice was made