Has anyone recovered thier Maggies??

I have a pair of Maggie 1.6's that I am thinking of doing a color change to. If I order replacement material from the factory how hard is it to put new fabric on these guy's? Has anyone ever done this on thier own? Am I bitting off more than I can chew??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
I have changed the covers on 1.5's to change from ivory to black and it was quite easy. Other than removing the million staples at the bottom its very straight forward. I will be removing the covers on my 3.5's soon to repair a buzzing bass panel soon which is much more involved because of the ribbon tweeter.
Go here for valuable Maggie information: http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/
No, mine are still down and I have not recovered use of them as yet. Thanks Magneplanar!
You aren't limited to plain colors in restyling your
speakers. I used a subtle plaid on my 6' panels.
You may not be limited to colors, but you are limited to weave and weight if you dont want the sound to be affected. And the stretch of a fabric affects how easily and neatly it can be used to recover the panels.

I had my Tympanis recovered at the factory, and was asked to send samples of the cloth -- a loosely weaved Belgian linen in a neutral shade that was my wife's request for keeping the Tympanis.

Two simple tests are to blow through the cloth (resistance is bad) or to run water from the tap through the cloth.

In this case, the water is supposed to stream straight through without bending.

My cloth passed these tests, but in the end, the factory did not want to use the material because there was not sufficient stretch to it.

I had to beg Mr Winey a bit because I spent $500.00 on the fabric. The lack of stretch caused the cloth to sag a bit in places but in the end they were accomodating.

In summary, there is more than color to consider.
Thanks for the info everyone. I will probably just order the stock covering from Magnapan and go from there. I was really worried as to whether this was something I could do myself, or whether I had to send the speakers back to the factory (not something I really want to do).

I just did a pair of MG 1 (improved). As mentioned already, the staple removal is the biggest pain-in-the-ass. Once that is done, the rest is not that hard–if the 1.6s are similar to the MG 1s in re-socking. Arm yourself with a staple removing gadget–a sort of L-shaped metal device I found in my wife’s office.

When you staple the bottoms, make sure first to cuf off the excess fabric, then staple one side of the fabric at a time. (Observe the way they have it before removing staples and then the above comment will make more sense.) After, cut off any excess fabric after stapling and put the speaker back together.

The new socks slid on perfectly over mine with very even and strong stitching on the side joints. Trust me, you’ll feel like John Cameron at the Oscars after you finish the project.

[Warning: When you remove the old socks, you’ll be tempted to touch the ribbons lightly and wonder “how all those great sounds come out of something so...well...ordinary looking.” Don’t do it, the Genie doesn’t like it!