Has Anyone heard The Wadia 581i se CD player?

Any input and comments would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
128x128tomer_tsin

Showing 2 responses by talon4

I own a Wadia 581se with Great Northern Sound Statement upgrade. Unfortunately, I've never heard the unit as a stock unit. My player is the best digital playback that I've had in my system. Previous players are: Emm Labs CDSA-SE, Wadia 861se with (and without) Great Northern Sound Statement upgrade, and Meridian 508.24. My Wadia 581se's biggest strengths in cd mode are: soundstaging, texture to voice & instruments and it's live sounding clarity and imaging. In sacd, the Wadia is even better. Sounstage size in all dimensions, for both cd and sacd, is the biggest that I have heard. Texture and pinpoint imaging is wonderful, as is attack and decay. After trying several players, this is my last stop. I have over 1000 hours on it and have never had a problem. It's built like a tank. Like Droberson, I wonder what happened to the December thread that covered all this. It disappeared from Audiogon about a month ago.
Hello Jppenn, There are over a dozen modifications done during a Statement upgrade, which includes damping the interior of the box, installing blackgate caps and installing a new board. I used to have a file of the breakdown from Great Northern Sound in a computer file, but I can't find it on my computer. All you have to do is contact Steve @ Great Northern Sound and request the modification file for upgrading a Wadia 581se. There are three mods: Standard, Reference and Statement. Good luck! Steve does very good work. Stan