Has anyone heard the Denon 103-SA?

It is available at www.audiocubes.com and is listed at $749, yet other than a .9g weight increase, I find virtually no difference between it and the "R" variant. Any thoughts would be helpful as I recently installed my very first DL-103 (yes, the congratulatory calls from friends & family, both far and wide, came pouring in)) and have been astounded to find out that all the hype is absolutely true.
nycwine1

Showing 3 responses by danwkw

In respect of its lowest possible price on the market, DL-103SA is well-built, sturdy, stable, with excellent trackability, suitable for a wide variety of medium and medium-high mass tonearms, low in residual/surface noise, not too "nervous" on older records, etc.

If your system can reveal the subtle sonic differences, the detail retrieval of 103SA is a tad better than 103R. In brief, it's one of the best MC carts made by Denon. But, IMHO, not a giant killer, just another reasonably priced MC carts. I still keep it as a back-up reference.

Best regards
Dan
I wouldn't say to compare a used, old 103R with a newly broken-in 103SA is meaningless. But an old cart would be absolutely inferior in performance than its hay day when it is still young.

Styli are subject to tear and wear? I believe so. But if used properly, a NATURAL diamond stylus would certainly last longer than the damping material & suspension of a cart. It is not uncommon when the suspension of a cart starts to degrade rapidly after a certain period of time while its stylus still remains sound & intact.

IME, no matter how high the prices of the carts, being too dry or too humid, with abrupt temperature fluctuations, air too salty near the ocean and direct sunlight, etc, would all accelerate the aging process of a cart and thus shorten its normal lifespan.

Best regards
Dan
DL-103D profile as follows:
• MC type cartridge
• Output voltage : 0.25mV
• Frequency rang: 20 Hz to 65 kHz
• Internal impedance: 40 ohm
• Load resistance: more than 100 Ω
• Stylus shape: special oval
• Stylus pressure: 1.5 ± 0.2 g
• Compliance: 12 × 10-6 cm/dyne
• Net weight: 7.5g