Has anyone heard Ohm Acoustics 300 MK-2

I can't find any current reviews. Years past they were reviewed very favorable. That is when they were sold in HI-End shops. They were revered for there large sound stage, coherent sound and there awesome base. How do they compare now to others in this price range. $5,000 pr. They are sold only factory direct now. Would appreciate some impute.
line

Showing 2 responses by rcj1231

I have a pair of the Ohm Walsh 5 MK-2, which is basically the same speaker as the 300, but with switches to "adjust" the sound a bit. The Walsh 5/300 is a large floor stander, make sure they will fit in your room. I believe they would sound best on a carpeted floor in a large room (at least 400sf). I tried mine in my living room stereo set-up but ran up against some mid-bass bloat with the hard-wood floors (no rugs). I use them now on a tile floor over concrete (no rugs) in my HT room downstairs with excellent results. They have excellent range and smoothness. Bass is deep but not overpowering.

I also have a pair Ohm Model I speakers that I bought new 23 years ago, just recently upgraded with new drivers. The Walsh 5 is a bit smoother and has a fuller mid-range, the Model I has more powerful bass. Top end is about the same with both.

I have yet to hear a better speaker than either of these, not to say they are not out there. I really like the Walsh 5 and I recommend all Ohm speakers (I have Sat-3 and Walsh Center Channel as well). The company is great to deal with and you have a 120 days to decide if they work for you.

I agree with the previous poster that you need some power, at least 250 watts into 4 ohms, to drive them well. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rick
Rich,

The upstairs room I had them in is about 14' wide and 25' long with suspended hardwood floors, no rugs. Now I have them downstairs in the HT room which is 13' wide by 25' long, tile over concrete. I use a Parasound HCA-2200II to drive them. It is 225 watts @ 8ohms and 385 watts @ 4 ohms, peak current at about 60 amps output. It has enough power to drive them. I have tried them with the 100 watt mass produced amps just for laughs, doesn't work to well.

You can upgrade the 4XO, I tried a pair of those. I prefered the sound of the bigger Walsh 5 cabinet. I would really like to hear them in a room that was better acoustically. I know I am not getting the best out of these speakers.

Hope this helps.
Rick