Has anyone bought the Psvane Acme 300B Vacuum Tube?

These are on my radar but I really know little of them. I had contact once with a fella that re-tubed his VAC Renaissance 70/70 amp with them and said they made a big difference in a good way. It would take about $4K to re-tube my amp with these. I am not in a hurry, just doing research. I can have VAC re-tube it for less than half of this. I think tubes will last a very long time in my amp, especially after I get the MK III upgrade on this amp when I take it to VAC this October. I can also get Gold Lion PX300B tubes for half of this, any one use those? I've had this amp a long time, I plan on keeping it until the grave so I want to do this right their first time even if I have to be patient and wait to afford a re tube. I am retired so disposable income is vastly reduced. I am just thankful i have so many fine audio pieces to enjoy now that I bought many years ago when I could.

128x128fthompson251

Showing 3 responses by blisshifi

I’ve tried a large number of 300Bs over the years and the Psvane ACME were my favorite, even over the Elrog and EML 300B-XLS (which were more dynamic and tipped up just slightly) and Takatsuki (which are a tad more romantic and less resolving). I know the ACME has been on the market left due to some of the leads moving over to Linlai. The Linlai Elite line is apparently also very good, but I do not have first hand experience with them. 

@wrm57 I would say that the tone of the EML 300B-XLS is largely dependent on how much they are overdriven. Most 300Bs are supposed to be have a plate voltage at around 60mA, but the EML 300B-XLS requires between 90-110mA to sound its best if I remember correctly. I was able to do this when I used Cary 805AE monoblocks a few years ago and the EML were very close to the ACME. But in other amps where increasing the plate voltage was not an option, the 300B-XLS tends to tip up and not bloom the way you mention. That said, I’m unsure how the Taks were more resolving, I’d never felt that across the 3-4 amps rolled my 300Bs around with. Perhaps it is system dependent as you say!

@wrm57 Thanks for your report back on the EML - I would agree with your assessment and understand what you mean by the Taks being more resolving. Sometimes there is just more there in the midrange, even if it means being more relaxed at the frequency extremes!