Has anybody bought or heard a Chinese knock off amplifier?

There are a lot clones coming out of China and power amplifiers seem to be along for the ride.
Mark Levinson, Goldmund, and Accuphase are some of the big names I see replica’s being advertised for sale. These replica’s range in price from $500-$2000. My curiosity every time I see these always is do they even sound like the brand they are trying copy? Another thought that comes to my mind when I see them is, are they even safe or reliable. I myself wouldn’t touch one of these, but that’s me. Has anybody heard one? If so it would be interesting to hear some opinions regarding these amplifiers.
hiendmmoe
There are people that buy Prima-Luna amps and pay good money for them, whats the difference ??  I have people send me amps to repair all the time from Chinese manufacturers, try to get a on-off switch or a knob or any help with diagrams.....I tried to repair a very popular Chinese amp not long ago and couldn't get a diagram or any help what so ever.....So I've decided to not repair any non-American amps.......So when you buy a Prima-Luna amp make friends with Kevin , he might fix it for you.........W
I have bought many China electronics. I have learned to use Google chrome translation on the China Taobao site and other Chinese reviews. There are cheap knockoffs and there are VERY good ones. Unless you know the language or spend time on the Chinese language sites you may never know. For the most part the ones on Aliexpress are the better ones but the best ones are only on the Chinese language Taobao.

I have very high end original equipment and some of the best clones. The best clones sound incredible but are slightly different from the exact sound of the originals.  Unfortunately there are some real turds as well as outstanding products as well. Most are modeled after discontinued products though which probably circumvents the issue with copyright. The Dart Zeel boards are 100% exact circuitboards and the component choice and device matching it what will seperate the original sond from the clone in absolute terms.
I have some experience in this area--not much, but some.

First off, true knock offs--posing to be something they are not--are not too common. There are clear examples, like Mistral’s B&W knock offs.

In my view, most of the China HiFi market is made up of four types.

1) clear knock offs--not that common. I define this as something that says it’s a Mark Levinson amp--not a cloned circuit.

2). Clones/Kit Using Legendary Circuits.

3) Discrete New Products. I define these as Line Magnetic, Doge Audio, Cayin, Willenston, Denafrips, and so on. These are organically designed and made in China products with strong corporate back stories. Also, these products use high quality components and should not be judged without listening or "popping the hood". The quality in these products is near exceptional.

4) US/Canadian/European Companies. Many household name companies design their products in their home sovereign then build them in China, under contract with a factory. The list of these is massive.

As to the OP’s question, I have heard some clone amps. I heard a Mark Levinson clone and a couple Pass clones. A friend built a Marantz clone from a PCB sold by China-HIfi. All were pretty decent, but of varying quality. Some of them are really, really nice. I think ones that use a tried and true circuit from an older product--e.g., Citation, Marantz M7, etc.--are pretty decent. Those products trying to be a facsimile of a product (see clear knock offs), are less likely to impress if compared to the real thing.

I hope that makes sense!

I’ve bought quite a few Chinese audio components over the last decade. Mostly mid-fi stuff that I upgraded myself.

My first foray was a Music Angel XD800 Mk3 tube amp. It cost ~$600. After upgrading it with about $200 worth of parts, it was an excellent performer. Not a $10,000 amp killer, but it definitely punched above the $800 amps.

I then modified a Shanling T-80 tubed CD player. $100 in parts turned it into a killer analog-sounding CDP. Friends couldn’t believe that a CDP could sound so analog.

My latest modification has been to a Singxer SU-1 DDC. I bought it for $450 and have spent $250 on upgrading it. It connects (via I2S) to a Gustard x20 Pro DAC (another Chinese component). This is a killer combo for playing DSD files.

I haven’t heard any of the other high end components mentioned already but I feel there are good deals to be found. Not all Chinese components are dogs (or blatant copies).