Harman kardon HK 990 v MF A3.2, Yam A-S 1000 or seperates

Hi,  I am thinking about an HK 990 integrated for $800.  I am also looking at other integrated such as Yamaha A-S 1000 and MF 3.2 all for slightly less. I have always liked HK dating back to the mid 70s but also find some of their  gear can be slightly thin in the midrange and top end. Natural and musical but somewhat thin Wondering where the HK 990 fits?  As for the Yamaha   I had an A-S 500 and 700 and thought they were really good but the image focus was somewhat soft. Had a MF 300 years ago but cannot comment as the system has changed to much. Reminded me of a more focused ,richer Rotel.  I find most mid to upper mid fi gear today over detailed, lean and unmusical and I know I am not the only one by any means.  I have even heard items were I swear the timing is messed up.
I also wonder if for less money  I am better off with the NAD or Rotel seperates  ie RA 981, RC 1070 or C162 2400THX and so on.  FYI have had a few Rotel power amps and the 981 does not sound like the others. Really good. In an integrated,  I really want a headphone jack and built in phono stage.  Outboard means more cables more comparing, more cost.  Getting tired.  I really prefer integrateds but....
Money is beyond tight and the good times are over so I am limited to what I can do.  The speakers are old Infinity RS 2.5s.  These things are amazing  They were being closed out when I started  in the audio biz and I had never heard them. I have had PSB, POLK, ADS Vandersteen, Von Schwiekert, Mirage, Def Tech and on and on.  These are something else.
The really question here should be opinions  on the HK 990?  Thanks
128x128geph0007

Showing 1 response by geph0007