Harman Kardon 3390 & 3490

Found both of these receivers for cheap price.The 3490, 120 W/C +/- 45 amps, the amperage I find hard to believe, for $299, and 3390 80 W/C +/- 40 amps.

I listen at 92/94 db or less, most all the time.I like my hearing real well!The tube amp I've used is 22 W/C and when I play music at 94/95 db for a few seconds there seems to be more left on the tube amp. I sit 10' from each speaker.I used an SPL meter to check the loudness. The speakers are Vandersteen 2CI's.Oh, the room is 15 x 27 with door ways at the opposite end of the room.
Thanks for any help you may afford me.
Harley
harley52

Showing 1 response by loomisjohnson

i bought a 3490 for my dad from harman direct for something like $225 and set it up with some polk lsi7s in a long, l-shaped room. it sounds good enough to make me question the value of much pricier "audiophile"-branded products. very powerful (hk, almost singularly among the mass marketers provides meaningful power specs); lots of useful features like a sub out, phono stage (untested by me) and a pretty good inboard dac. a bit of graniness at the top end--it won't challenge quality separates for transparency--but generally a nice, neutral presentation, without the excessive brightness or brittleness of alot of ss receivers. very good fm tuner pulls in hard-to-get stations. reminds me of the new hyundais--not much snob appeal, but you'd have to spend a lot more to do much better.