hardwood floor and speaker

hi
we're remodelling the house , putting in hardwood flooring on what use to be carpet. what should i do with the speaker spike, or amp stand ( spike )? wife is not crazy about sticking spike into the floor.

thanks
a1126lin
I use brass discs intended for use with spikes. They have an indentation in the center that the spike sits in, and allows you to slide it a little if you need to toe the speakers in or out. The discs are about the diameter of a quarter. They haven't scratched my flooring (hardwoods).
On my speaker stands with spikes I use 1/8" thick felt disks under the spikes. Works well and my hardwoods love me for it. I have oak floors so they are pretty soft.
I used pennies, then quaters.
When you move around your speakers to repostion, pennies or even quaters may not stick with the spikes, may end up scratching the hardwood floor.
Now I use speaker isolation cones. They are more expensive ($10~20), but they worth every quaters.

I am more interested in how people treat their hardwood floor surround the audio systems. Many times I see rugs (or some sort of office carpets) underneath the whole audio systems or inbetween the listening position and the speakers.
Would it be a good practice to put such rugs to dampen (or prevent reflection?) the sound from the speakers?