Hard Bop, sans drum solos ?

Hard Bop fan, save for the drum solos. I'm sure they're a hoot if you're in the room watching, but can't stand em otherwise. Who's got suggestions? 
128x128zufan
Most Horace Silver albums would fit the description of hard bop, and while there may be some drum solos scattered here and there, I don't recall any that go on for any significant length of time, at least not long enough to make someone who claims to like hard bop but dislikes drums solos discard the entire body of work. Assume you're talking about hard bop in the traditional jazz sense. Most hard bop in my collection - drum solos are not a prominent thing, in the sense that they don't go on for a long period of time, or even long enough to offend someone who dislikes them.
Horace Silver, I don't know that name. I will check them out. Thanks for the recommendation! 

scott_w

the experts of Jazz history tells us that Hard Bop starts with Charlie Parker. From Charlie, check out Charles Mingus, John Coltrane and Miles Davis. These artists will get you from the mid 40's though the 50's.

As above, Horace Silver is an excellent choice as well.

Happy Listening!

Drum solos are an integral part of the jazz idiom, where every instrument gets the opportunity to solo.  Jazz Messengers, Coltrane, Clifford Brown/Max Roach.  But I agree with the above that Horace Silver has less of it, although IMO, Horace took more of a commercial path than some others, no doubt in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience.  Honestly though, the relatively short solos by Blakey, Roach, Billy Higgins, Mel Lewis, Shelly Manne and many others are incredibly musical and compelling, IMO.