Harbeth vs Proac

Can someone compare these for me. I have owned Harbeths, liked them, but sold them. Now of course I want them back. I have never heard Proac, and I am curious...no where to hear them in Nebraska.
Thanks
Mike
128x128brm1
I have owned the newest 7's, I liked them, but they lacked the resolution of my Coincident. The midrange, just like everyone else says, is still the best I have heard. I have been thinking about the 30's, because of the better tweeter, but they may not produce enough bass...don't know.
If you find the Compact 7ES3's to lack resolution compared to your Coincidents, it is likely you will find the M30's to exhibit the same, probably to a greater extent. The tweeter in the M30 may be of higher quality and lets more detail through but the overall presentation is a lot smoother and thicker compared to the C7ES3's. The C7ES3 sounds more open, lively and dynamic compared to the M30. The M30 is more composed and shut-in in comparison. Bass performance between the two is almost similar. Judging from your description above, the M30 may not fit your listening preference.

In the Proac line, probably on 2.5/2.8 any thing else is way more than I care to spend. The bigger Harbeth's would be interesting, but I will NOT buy anything with metal tweeters.
The bigger SHL5 is slightly recessed and less dynamic compared to the C7ES3 and will not give you the same resolution and detail you are getting with the Coincidents. The Proac 2.5 is leaner, quicker and more dynamic than the smooth and organic Harbeth. I have a friend who owns both Proac and Harbeth and prefers the latter. There are others who prefer the Proacs. The new D2 brought up by Jaybo can be an interesting alternative to the Harbeth.
To add to the above, electronics play a part in getting the Harbeths to sing to their potential, as usual with most good speakers. Due to the inherent characteristic of the Harbeths in their warm and smooth sound signature, a dynamic amp(as opposed to a smooth sounding amp) can alleviate the perceived lack of resolution, detail and excitement to a certain degree.
Harbeths are ugly as sin. I've heard their mid's are to die for (with the right gear) but are thin in the bass. That's not what I wanted in a speaker. I dont listen to a lot of classical either. So, for that reason, I went with the Proac D2s (plus the dealer I auditioned the Proacs at said harbeths didn't sell well there so they stopped carrying them).

Just as well as I love the Proac sound and their bass response is brilliant. They play rock like I expected and more. I'll have the D2s around for a while....
I appreciate the responses. As usual everyone has a opinion and I need to listen for myself. I will have to travel to hear proacs. Some of the commentary about 7's being better than the much more expensive 30's is troubling. But it's not the first time I have heard that either.
I will be using the speaker with s/s in my home theater. Occasionally I get kicked out of the listening room (the living room)and get sent to the basement with the home theater and if that's going to be the case I need to upgrade my front speakers. It's a fairly large room 20x25.
Thanks
Mike
Some of the commentary about 7's being better than the much more expensive 30's is troubling.
The M30 design is more for studio use while 7's for home use, as I understand it, not that the M30's can't sound good in a home. Just understand each ones design and purpose before being too troubled. Go to the Harbeth user forums and post some questions about each model.