Harbeth 40.3's. Should I buy them?

I've owned a lot of speakers. I've just finished auditioning a pair of Alta Audio Alec's. Not good at all in my system. I own a pair of Spatial X3 open baffle speakers. I really like them and my wife doesn't. I recently bought a pair of Buchardt S400 MKII's for a second system. I say second system because I have a dedicated 2 channel room 15' x 19'. Upstairs in a much larger room, the Buchardt's were anemic, fine, 2 Adam subs solved the anemia. Then just for the heck of it (and because audio is a hobby) I moved the Buchardt monitors downstairs in the 'big guys' room. The Buchardt's loved that room and my wife loved the Buchardt's except they are to small for the listening room and our listening tastes.

I'm tired of buying and selling speakers. I've been to a hundred audio shows and have "favorites". Harbeth have always sounded great, not a show stopper, but, at shows, they've been totally inoffensive, warm and engaging in the same way I like Audio Notes AN-e.
We play all types of music. My wife especially likes classical, leaning towards female singers but too, she'll rock out on Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Keyes, Journey, you get the idea. Me, classic rock but anything that soothes my soul works. I like to play loud. My wife - louder, but not teenager loud.

We have an awesome front end to work with. Allnic T2000 30th integrated (60wpc in triode 150wpc in pentode), Allnic H5500 phono and Allnic D10000 DAC.

Why wouldn't we happy with this speaker?

128x128desalvo55

I have the buchardt 400 mk 2 special edition and they are nice and do some things very well.  I enjoy them in my smaller 12x14 bedroom system.  I had them in my big system room and not so much.  I have been through a lot of speakers over the years, some very expensive and I can't imagine based on everything you have said you wouldn't like the Klipsch La Scala especially if you are used to using subs.  the La Scala is a magical communicator and play all kinds of music with life and vitality.  such a big and dynamic sound, they make most all other speakers sound boring including other heritage Klipsch like the Cornwall and Forte.  I've had both.  I've only had small Harbeths and they are magical in their own way but no way can they compare with the spectacle they la scala create.  Read the recent Stereophile review and you get a really good description that I think is spot on.  Your amp would likely be a magical combination as well.  You can run the S400 in a smaller room for those times when you crave the pinpoint imaging that small speakers do so well and when you want to be moved to tears by your fav music the La Scalas can do that.  

Harbeth is no flash in the pan, flavor-of-the-month type of speaker. While other companies have come and gone, Harbeth has been going strong for decades. Not saying other speakers are not as good or better, but it takes real quality to not just reach the top of the totem pole but stay there decade after decade. I have heard the 40.2 and 40.3 on multiple occasions and have always loved the balanced sound. While they might not command your attention during a short demo at a store or audio show, they prove their mettle over the long run in extended listening sessions. There is just something magical about the big Harbeths ... as long as you drive them with proper amplification and give them enough space to breath. 

You really can't compare a smaller Harbeth with the likes of Klipsch Cornwall. You need to go to at least the SHL5+ model if not 40.x for a proper comparison in terms of the size and scale. Many audiophiles I know and respect claim that Harbeth 40.x is the final destination they arrive at after going through many speakers over many years. If I had the money, I would go for the 40.3 in a heartbeat ... as long as I can feed them with good SS amplification.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and comments as well. 

It seems the Harbeths inspire a lot of conversation and rightly so. 
Maybe no speaker can perform at the highest level with every genre. Our long gone line arrays came the closest. When I think back on those speakers, my wife would sit in the sweet spot and become totally absorbed in the music. I too, would relish the sound from those speakers. And to be honest, to me, they only became amazing after I purchased a PS Audio Power Plant Premier. And that after they we’re already sold. Oops. 
Audio buddies tried to recreate the sound in their home. Same speaker, same amplifier. That didn’t work. I’m not going back.

I believe we made a decision. Given our home, our rooms, our gear and our value in what a speaker might bring us, it ultimately came down to one speaker.

The Legacy Audio Aeris.

1. The ability to allow our tube amp to allow its greatness to shine through with a 94.5db efficiency. 
2. The ability to tune the speaker to any room we choose.

3. Will play north of our hearing with great tweeters while playing down to 18hz. 
4. Conversations with Aeris owners rave about the midrange, and well, everything else about these speakers.

5. Bill Duddleson, owner, will fabricate a device that will allow us to tap off of the speaker terminals to send signal to the wavelight processor. 
6. The Allnic allows for a second preamp to be used in line allowing a second path to send signal to the wavelength processor.

7. The wavelength processor stores algorithms in the time and space domain. Too much detail to go into but it seems, if I want to, I could store profiles for rock, vocals, jazz, whatever. 
8. The processor will receive updates via USB. Future proof, I don’t know but this company is constantly testing speaker and room interactions.

9. Is there a more beautiful looking speaker on the market?

10. The choice of finishes is pretty awesome. The problem is choosing one.

Klipsch Cornwall IV’s…you are gonna have a blast rocking out but you will also hear your classical collection as if it were the first time!  No amp changes needed.  Cable changes maybe.  Placement fairly easy..