Hanging Audio Rack?

I was thinking again, sorry. I'm wondering if any of you have tried to hang your equipment from the ceiling. I know turn tables have been hung, I had one in my dorm. What I want to know is if anyone has had experience trying to hang a steel or other material rack. If you did, how did it work, what were the sonic benefits? If you haven't tried it, do any of you have thoughts on what might be expected? I'm thinking of four point suspension from the ceiling joists using as thin of wire as possible. Thoughts?
128x128jadem6

Showing 1 response by 90493m

I use a Billy Bags Tripod rack filled with sand. I then suspend my Dac from the rack with mon filiment fishline. I use a medium weigth spring between the fishline and the Dac to help absorb any low frequency transmission. I decouple the fsihline from the rack with a small swatch of EAR Iso-Damp. This very effectively isolates the Dac from the room/rack enviornment. Lastly I place a reasonable amount of the brown EAR damping sheets on all chassis serfuces of the Dac (I know, it looks lousy) to dampen any airborne feedback back into the Dac it self. This has produced very satifying sonics. My transport is isolated with a Nimbus air bearing platform whihc I would recommend over just about anything out there. It is exceptional and you can tune the platforms resonance almost infinitley. Good luck.