Halide Bridge vs hiFace Evo vs Sonicweld 192

I've given up on the Squeezebox Touch and as skeptical as I am from previous experience with some cheap USB converters (Trends(?) and HagTech) I'm intrigued to try it again based on some reviews, mainly the Halide Bridge (even after reading; USB audio receiver code, Streamlength™, by Wavelength Audio*).

Find Missing Link

I've wanted to use my iMac/iTunes (Front Row) for years but nothing sounded satisfying enough, including $1K-$3500 USB DAC's*. My system is very resolving and uses the Reimyo DAP-777. The reviews give the Bridge a slight edge in musicality compared to hiFace Evo and no comparisons with Sonicweld 192. Plus I'd rather not pay $1200. Wow! Price increase since I last looked into it - $1,799.00! &*%$!
sakahara

Showing 12 responses by sakahara

I get it - too many variables, no way to know for certain. Thanks.

Reimyo-DAP-777 doesn't have USB. OPT, COAX, BNC only. Probably designed/suited for COAX, which is what I use. And I actually had the perfect matching music server; iTransport/iPod. Should have kept it. May buy another one if these USB converters don't work out. I realized after trying different priced USB DAC's and converters a few years ago that I would need a very special DAC to give me the sound I was accustom to hearing with my previous CDP (Accustic Arts). So once I decided on the Reimyo DAP-777 and had heard what the SB3 could do it was clear that the iTransport was the best solution at that time - still is. But I wanted a larger GUI.

As for now, the SBT is being returned and I'm going to try AirTunes from both AE and AppleTV, followed by the Halide Bridge. Hopefully one of these will be the one. The only way to know for sure is to try it in my system.
Update/Last Post;

I discovered that the temporary power cord being used between the wall outlet and power conditioner had had a detrimental effect on the systems sound, thus negatively affecting my judgement and what I was hearing with the USB converters. I have since replaced the power cord and recently tried a Stello U2 for a few days. It was a limited listening experience but it actually sounded surprisingly good compared to playback from a Marantz BD8002 BDP being used as a CDT. Once my system is complete I'll give them another try. There may be hope yet.

Time for a new thread as this one got off track anyways...
Wavelength Audio WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF converter.

To throw another one into the mix. ;-) Better then Halide Bridge apart from 24/192?

I wish there were some other members who've compared these devices. At least to have some others experience, opinions,... beyond which DAC input is best.

Btw, I'm currently using AppleTV via AirPlay with Optical cable. Not bad actually. It is early though. Still having wireless drop out problems, not as bad as SBT.
M2Tech Support still hasn't replied to my request for help with using the hiFace Evo. At least it was a friends who let me borrow it to try so no loss. Hopefully he'll have more success since it's being set up by someone who knows it.

I'm not even going to bother trying the Halide Bridge after the less then satisfying experience with the WaveLink HS.

I was about to buy the new Wadia 171iTransport but decided to try the Sonos ZP90 first. Then I just came across comments that it doesn't support 24/96. Is this true? Does that make any sense if it's to be used with a high-end audio system connected to a DAC (SPDIF/COAX)? I only play Red Book CD's ripped in Apple Lossless. What does it mean in terms of sound quality?
I take that back about AppleTV - it sounds terrible compared to Squeezebox Touch. Another let down, besides the constant wireless interruptions.

iTune (AirPlay)>AppleTV>Optical(AQ OptiLink-1)>DAP-777
iTunes/SqueezeBox Server>SBT>S/PDIF RCA (Kimber D-60)>DAP-777

by Audioengr: "This is really simple. You go to preferences - audio and select the EVO and then you get output. It is the operating systems that are causing these problems and confusions, not the device. Dont blame the device or the driver. If you install the driver according to the instructions and select the device in preferences, it just works."

Steve, I've been using computers since '95 (self taught/administrator on UNIX/IRIX SGI, WIN DOS/NT/2K/XP, and MAC OS X). I know how to select the sound output device under OS X System Prefs. Evo showed up after installing the driver, but would only play through iMac speakers. Is that clear now? I've used other USB DAC's and converters and know what I'm doing. Don't just presume user is to blame.

Fyi; There was no mention on the M2Tech website about a driver being needed. And at first I ignored the small folded 2"x5" strip of paper included in the box that informs the customer they'll need to download the instruction manual and driver. But I'll accept the blame for that one. I should have known that tiny scrap of paper held the answers. Point is, set up on OS X is easy, practically does it on it's own (yet look at the WIN instructions. Geesh!).
Davide256: My iMac is previous model (purchased new a year ago); iMac,8.1, 2.8GHz INtel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. And I have nothing running except iTunes/SW player (Amarra, PureMusic). The device is also on it's own High-Speed USB Bus (not shared and up to 480 Mb/sec).

I don't think it's my computer or system. It's USB (converter and DAC's). It doesn't sound good to me, nor through my system. Compare to Wadia 170iTransport, also SBT, to Reimyo DAP-777 (via COAX), which sounds better then $6K Accustic Arts CDP.

by Tvad: "You have to select it to play through the external speakers in the Apple Midi application. It will not do play through the external speakers automatically......"

Yes, did that too. Already learned from setting up other USB converters as mentioned.
Addendum: Even though the Stello U2 sounded decent for the limited time spent listening, I've decided once again to not use USB. It still doesn't do it for me. I've since bought the Bryston BDP-1 to use as a music server with a Lampizator v3 Level 3 DAC. I think this will prove to be far more musically satisfying then any USB converter/DAC.
You didn't need to write all of that. I know that much about DAP-777, Harmonix/Combak Corp, May Audio, contact info,..etc. Not ignorant. Did my research before buying it. Know how to "search internet". Many owners and reviewers know it's capabilities as a very analog-esque sounding DAC. Knob is not volume control, it is input selector. Yes, CDT-777 was designed for it and probably best match, but I haven't tried it and don't want to use a CDT. I chose DAP-777 at the time for it's least sounding digital sound. Also, I don't have the time to drive around with my DAC and ask of the dealers time to let me try different sources/inputs to hear which is best. And by posting here I am reaching out to other DAP-777 owners who're using music servers. Sure, I could search AudiogoN as well.

Btw, here's what Combak had to say with regards to best input;

Thank you for your mail.

........ Second, there should be no deviation in the quality of sound among the
inputs. If often say so, it may be due of the different materials of
connectors and shielding of cables but not input itself.
It's totally no sense to be said so.

Regards,

K. Kiuchi
I've had it. No more USB for me.

I tried the WaveLink HS. It sounded terrible, especially with the upper frequencies. It made me cringe when playing loud. Sometimes it would sound good at lower levels, or with higher quality recordings, but after more listening I could hear the inherent deficiencies. I couldn't live with it. Even Pure Music and Amarra Mini didn't help. Perhaps the dealer supplied WireWorld USB and digital BNC>BNC cables were partly to blame (I didn't have a BNC>RCA adapter for my D-60), but I have my doubts that better cables could make up for it enough. And imagine the total cost; USB converter, playback SW, high-end cables, and a dedicated iMac or Mac Mini since running 20+ feet of USB cable isn't recommended. You may as well go back to a high-end CDT. The WaveLink costs about twice as much as a new 171iTransport and iPod Classic and yet sounds half as good. So what is it? My systems too resolving? The cables? The connections used (BNC,..)? Or is it that USB just sounds bad - to me and my system? I tried, again (four years later).

I also tried the hiFace Evo. It wouldn't work. Set up is simple enough on OS X. It showed under Sound>Output once the driver was installed, but the sound only came out the built in speakers. And I'd swear OS X was glitchy after installing their driver. I want plug-n-play.

Arj: Try Squeezebox Touch or iTransport w/ COAX O/I. Any other type of ready-to-play music server with SPDIF out should suffice also. Stay clear of all USB converters and DAC's. Ic an't speak for FireWire (Weiss,..etc), but I have a feeling it's similar.
Non buon.

Evo was plugged in prior to driver installation (I realized it required a driver after noticing the device wasn't listed under Sound>Output Prefs). Everything looked fine, power on,..etc, except for the fact that it would only play through the internal speakers. Oh well, one more USB interface debacle to chalk up to experience.

The Sonos ZP90/ZB combo was also another failure. Requires computer or NAS and at least one ZP90 or ZB to be wired to router. Not practical with my set up/lay out. Can't use NAS wired to ZP90, and supposedly you can wire ZP90 to computer but it didn't work for me. They recommend another ZB and NAS (translation; spend more $$$). This is why I never tried Sonos in the past. Over priced (compared to Squeezebox) and not made for high-end audio, just mass-produced mainstream electronic consumer waste.

Back to the reliable iTransport; ordered 171i and iPod Classic. Not the most convenient, small screen, and no remote control, but it's simple, plug-n-play, and produces fantastic sound for the price. No technical, wireless, network, USB, settings, ethernet, extra wires, drivers,... etc., to deal with.