Hacking a Luxman Integrated

One cool and often under appreciated feature in Luxman integrateds is the "Separate" button. It disconnects the preamp from the amplifier, allowing for a number of approaches. Actually this is two features. One is the always active preamp output available on the back.

The second is the ability to feed the amp directly, bypassing everything in the preamp. Useful features:
  • Add room correction/EQ/active crossover in the middle.
  • Passively bi-amp (without using separate)
  • Feed a subwoofer (without using separate)
  • Use amp for home theater
  • Use ~ 0.047uF cap to add a high pass to your Luxman, letting you feed a sub for everything below 80 Hz.
  • Use ~ 1uF or higher to add some flavor to the sound. 
It has me thinking about using it with my sub for 2 channel again. :)

Best,

E
erik_squires
I'm definitely thinking of getting either an Anthem processor or Anthem receiver. The latter are cheaper, and have at least 5 channels of amps, letting me drive my C and Surround speakers without additional amps.
Interesting! Thanks @erik_squires  !

I have the Luxman L-509x.

So, the "separate" function would be used if I would want to drive the Amp function of my Luxman via the preamp section of my DAC? Then, would I need to connect my sub to my DAC RCAs out in this case?
@thyname,

Hey buddy! When I was driving my Luxman CL40 pre into the 509X amp's section I ran the SB-16 from the pre out of the 509X and did all the crossover settings in the SVS app. 

Now that I'm using it for HT in "Separate" mode, I'm using the sub out from the Anthem AVM 60. In this situation when I am listening to 2 channel audio I'm running dual outs from my DAC into the 509X for the full-range L and Rs and into the Anthem - I have an input set up on the Anthem for 2 channel listening that only uses analog inputs and L/R sub. So you're hearing the ARC corrected/crossed over bass from the SB16, and your 2 channel music is being played through the 509X pre and amp (unadulterated pure, full range analog from the DAC).
I love the Separates mode.  I have my Marantz 8805 connected to the 509X for L/R and another amp driving my center channel.  I switch to full integrated mode when using my DAC. Awesome combination.

I do have a question, are the two sides (amp/preamp) operating completely independently?

When I have the 509X in separates mode and just using the amp side, the sound cut out briefly when I change things on the preamp side.  I could swear this is a new occurrence.  When I used to change the input or Line Straight mode, the amp side was not effected.  Are you guys seeing this too?
Good to see some folks are using the feature of this integrated, I am strongly considering this  option for myself and purchasing the Luxman to power my R/L towers (Focal 1038be II via Marantz 7705 processor) in my HT. With it being mostly used for home theatre and rated at 120 WPC,  has anyone using this noticed any clipping or decrease in sound quality in the right and left channels using the luxman versus a different amp strictly for home theater? Thank you!