Gutwire Perfect Grounding Cable

Haven't tried grounding boxes (e.g.,Entreq) because of their cost, but the Blue Moon award (Six Moons) winning Gutwire Perfect Ground cable at under $300 (see Gutwire's website) is worth trying.

The cable's single rca plug is connected to an unused input on my Pathos TT integrated and the AC connector is plugged into an unused wall socket. It isn't broken in yet, but there is an immediate improvement (reduction of the noise floor, etc.) consistent with the review.

128x128cellcbern
@slaw - re:
Wouldn't all of this be unnecessary if there was an industry standard on internal grounding of audio components?
YES! - wouldn't that be novel? - industry standards in audio? - no chance!

Most components (way back) were correctly grounded - then the Japanese came out with the isolated power supply approach (i.e. the two pin plugs) and now we have the Wal-Wart power supplies - both of which do not support grounded circuits.

There are even a few variants on grounded circuits - e.g.  NAIM, who believe the source should be the grounded component - which can cause serious hum if you use an un-grounded source - like a Japanese CD player - I know because I experienced it.

So it's left up to the customer to be aware of the various nuances of grounding and take the appropriate action.

It's a bit like making sure your pre-amp's output impedance is compatible   with your main amp's input impedance. If you mic brands this can be one reason a certain brand combination lacks "synergy"

If the industry can't come up with a standard for that one - what hope is there for a common grounding scheme?

"It is what it is" - I hate that expression and like you, would like the industry to resolve it - but it really is a non-starter.

They don't want a standards because then all components would work flawlessly across brands - and "a brand" would not really want that to happen.

Let's face it - how many people are loyal to a brand across all of their components? After all, It can be far less hassle!

The Gutwire cable is only a solution - IF the customer really understands the problem.

But the hype sounds good and if you have a hum in your system - you will probably be tempted to try it - and THAT is all they are after.

Synical? - you bet

Regards - Steve

Late to the game here, but I just built my own DIY version of this (neutral RCA to mains ground pin) and it does seem to lower my noise floor..

An interesting observation: I asked gutwire if I could connect their cable to an unused output jack. Their reply was, yes, no problem, connect it to any unused RCA jack. I tried connecting it to an output jack and was rewarded with a lovely, loud hum. When I connected it to an input jack, the hum disappeared and I was rewarded with a lower noise floor for vinyl listening.. Haven't tried digital yet. 

It's truly crazy how there are no universal standards among home audio equipment. It really is an area where experimentation and curiosity can lead to improvement, but where everything is so outrageously system dependent. Just another reminder, to me, that many of the disagreements on here are more than likely due to this extreme variability.

And that's why I love DIY. I had all the parts I needed laying  around, so this experiment cost me nothing..