Guidelines for treating cathedral ceilings

My listening room is 18' wide x 18.5' deep, with a cathedral ceiling symmetrically over the room.
I have done the 'standard' room treatments (absorption behind the speakers and listening seats, and absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls). Absorption is 2" thick Owens Corning 703 fiberglass.

However, I am still hearing a sharp slap echo when I clap my hands in the room. I am beginning to suspect some sort of ceiling or upper corner interaction. Is there any rule of thumb for where to first start with a treating a cathedral ceiling? I am a little bit surprised, since the ceiling is angled and does not present two parallel surfaces for sound to bounce off of.

The practical concern is some sibillance when playing certain CDs at high volumes (possibly exciting something in the room and exaggerating the treble?).

thanks in advance,
Bill

(I hope this drawing comes through OK- the A is the top of the ceiling, and the two S are the speakers).

.......................A
.................... /....\
................./.............\
............../...................\
.........../..........................\
...........|...........................|
...........|.....S...............S.....|
............ --------------------------
gnobber

Showing 1 response by tsondgroth193e

I've read all your suggestions and I'm impressed- very good advice. My husband is about to shoot himself b/c the echo in our room is horrible. It's a 19' room with an assymetrical cathedral/vaulted ceiling. Compounding the problem is an entry hall, open staircase and hallway that are all connected- one big open floorplan. We're about to buy foam to make panels to put high on the walls but it seems there may be better ideas. Should we use foam panels, continuous fiberglass following the ceiling line, wool?? Any suggestions would be helpful.