Gryphon vs. D'Agostino

To anyone who has had the opportunity to hear both, please compare and contrast the latest Gryphon and D'Agostino amplifiers.
imgoodwithtools
@georgehifi This is really getting to the point of wasting everyone’s time. Instead of admit that your comments about the M400 mono blocs were inaccurate (which I have tried twice now to politely point out) you now change the goal posts with a comment that: (1) is completely and utterly incorrect (and bizarre) and (2) undercuts your earlier praise of Gryphon that it amazingly could do just that - double in impedance all the way down to 1ohm. The M400 has been tested independently and meets the specifications of the manufacturer and then some; why you are so adamant to try to prove otherwise is beyond me. I really (hope) I am done now.
I’m not debating that the D’Agostino’s sound great, they do, and are fantastic amps.
But I’m stating your post of these doubling figures cannot be correct. If they were 5-10% of doubling there’d be no issue, as there are losses and these figures you posted are like saying Dan has solved Perpetual Motion, he’s good but not god.

D’Ag does exactly the same thing. My M400s:
400 watts @ 8Ω
800 watts @ 4Ω
1,600 watts @ 2Ω

Many manufacturers will understate the 8ohm figure to make it look like the amp can double all the way. This has been proved and commented on by Stereophile when doing their measurements.

Cheers George
As you already know George these Dan D'Agostino amps replaced the ARC Reference 250 SE tube amps which indeed sounded great on everything even old bright discs but could not drive the Maxx 3’s to the levels I have obtained with the Progression series amps.
I’m not surprised, driving the Maxx’s, with this sort of load only an amp with current will get them to sing the best they can.

As I said first post:
Gryphon vs. D’Agostino
I’d love both to drive the very hard loads of most Wilsons, especially the Alexia .9ohm (epdr) in the lower bass.

Cheers George
Well, Imgoodwithtools, have you heard the vaunted Gryphons?  I have enjoyed following a few of your threads, especially as an Ayre owner (twenty series) who previously owned a D'Ag integrated.  I agree with your comparisons between the two.  I would be slightly happier with D'Ag separates but I had a nice opportunity with Ayre.  Agree, not better and worse, just different.  But to my ear, 98 for D'Ag and 96 for Ayre- not enough to go break another piggy bank.  But I am not enamored of Wilson products (disclaimer, owned Sasha but perhaps didn't optimally equip them) and I'm thrilled with my Rockport Aviors.  Andy Payor at Rockport is a huge fan of Gryphon products.  And so I wonder?  I wonder about Vitus as well.  Something about the cold weather in Denmark must spark creativity?  So if/when you do have an opportunity to compare Gryphon to D'Ag or to Ayre, I would love to hear your thoughts.  Happy listening and thanks for your posts!

Hi Aldenberry,
I have not heard the Gryphons.  I talked to a friend who has, one who has heard a Lot of equipment (even more than me), and whose opinion I trust. He told me that Gryphon might be the best solid-state amplifier right now, but at the end of the day, they ain't tubes!

I thought I was kinda settled. Quite happy with the Audio Research Ref 6, which worked Amazingly well with the D'Agostino amp. But a couple of bargains slapped me in the face. Ones that I knew if I didn't Love them, I could even sell them and make some money. The first were a pair of Lamm 1.2 Reference amps. Antiques? NO! Stock, amazing. After months of tube rolling and exploring Every option, Amperex Holland 7308s, in the Lamms, Amazing. Better than the D'Agostino, except in the bass. Sold the D'Agostino. 

Then I found a VTL TL 7.5 III preamp for a Ridiculously low price. Much better than the Ref 6, especially in the highs. No contest on piano. Sold the AR. 

Tube rolling options on the VTL preamp Abound. You can pretty much make it sound however you want. One of my favorites is a Toshiba Japan 12AU7. Who else is running That? Makes the VTL Totally Transparent, with control, and no loss of space or harmonics. Reminds me of the Ayre KX-R Twenty. But better.

So, I'm totally smitten with the VTL preamp. So, why not try a VTL amp? So, I bought a VTL S-400 II. The jury is out on which amp is better, the VTL or the Lamm. Both hugely musical. Both Very Different. For right now, I'm keeping both. And looking for a deal on a pair of Wilson Alexia 2s.

This journey isn't where I predicted it would go. But I'm simply listening with my ears, and keeping the best sounding stuff. Right now the trajectory is Tubes!