Gryphon Diablo & Dartzeel CTH-8550

Hi,
I am looking for a high quality integrated amp in a small room of 18' x 10' x 8'.

On a usage basis, one negative point about the Diablo is that it runs very hot.

Anybody who has compared both amps side-by-side and could comment on it?

Thank you
hamburger

Showing 8 responses by lloydelee21

Hi Hamburger,

I have seen and enjoyed your posts. I have not heard either unit...sorry. But i have owned Antileon and Colosseum...and have spent time auditioning Dartzeel.

I think Dartzeel,in my experience with them, is a very lithe, fleet of foot natural sound that can be very beautiful in the right system. It was not for me, but i very much respected the sound.

The Gryphon sound is also very beautiful, extraordinarily powerful and propulsive in the bass, and generally with a clear, measured control over the whole spectrum with a touch of 'sweetness' in the treble. Now, some may say Antileon is dark (i would)...but i quite liked the voicing, and i am told Diablo is similar. The Colosseum stepped away from that darkness but maintained the sweetness in the treble which i love.

The Dartzeel may feel illuminated in comparison...but i suspect it will depend on your component mix and personal preferences...i did love the Antileon treble (prefer the Colosseum by far).

Finally, i think the Diablo will drive anything with the power of an ox...i spoke with my dealer about the Dartzeel and he did suggest relatively more caution with lower impedance speakers.

my two cents. Good luck and hope you can post your findings.

Hamburger,

good to know! Volume does count when evaluating! I rarely listen at loud levels anymore...but last nite, i did bring out the Deep House...and it always helps to have the extra power to keep turning up the volume!

DTZL is world-class...enjoy!
Hi Hamburger,

Always good to read other people's experiences and observations, particularly when they have clearly done a lot of listening! Thanks!

I would think the Diablo will benefit from burn-in over time...however, your observations about the Diablo sound not being as lithe/lyrical as your Orpheus could possibly end up being your final conclusion.

After hearing a Goldmund in my system while my Antileon was out for repair, i realized that i vastly preferred the midrange through the bass of the Antileon...but the Goldmund made appreciate what an 'illuminated' treble could do for a system.

Hence why i went with Colosseum second-hand when i got the chance to trade in my Antileon.

Good luck! and please keep us posted!
Hi Mike60...interesting. any chance you could elaborate? Have heard good things about Gamut but never heard myself. OTOH, i am pretty familiar with Gryphon. thanks for any insights!
thanks to mike and kiwi! Good to read. Know the Gryphon sound...up thru Antileon, yes dark...and agree with all comments above. Colosseum starts to change things where, compared with Goldmund which can have excellent treble illumination, Colosseum is as clear an older Goldmund i tried in my system...but sweeter.

thanks again! good to read.
Hamburger,

I have never heard the YBA signature stuff...but i have heard some of their more basic equipment...congrats!!! That is seriously good stuff, no doubt. And by reputation it is certainly consistent with the sound you have been looking for in Gryphon. Congrats and enjoy!!!