Gryphon Diablo 300 vs Vitus RI-101

So I've been itching to upgrade my amp. I currently have: PS audio Directstream -> PS BHK preamp -> parasound JC1 -> Focal Sopra 2.
    I narrow down to these 2 candidates. Any one with experience with both int amps can comment on them?Thanks!!!
128x128btbluesky

Showing 2 responses by kamphu

Having just auditioned Vitus RS-101, RI-101 and the Gryphon Diablo (plus Pass 250.8) I have to agree totally with the reviewers above. The Vitus is much more refined than the Diablo and does not impart as much of its own character to the music (particularly midrange).

I tested both with the pre amps and without, given I noted a distortion in the Diablo with some music (mainly trumpets). So I also used my Chord Dave as preamp which solved that issue and gave a much clearer sound.

In the end I went with the RS-101 rather than the RI-101. Literature and reviews say they have the same amp construction, but not according to Hans-Ole. The RS has a "stronger PSU....to provide better drive for difficult loads". He believes it does not change the sound, but I found it quite a bit better than the RI-101. Best to try both.

On my gear, room, etc not in the same class at all. I kept everything else constant - cables, music, etc.

Loss of detail compared to Vitus and seemed to attenuate both the highs and lows with a notable lack of bass in comparison to Gryphon and Vitus. Smooth mid range.

Took about 1.5 hrs to warm up enough. Surprised me that it was not competitive, because I have heard some great Pass set ups on friends' systems. They tell me Pass needs the Pass pre to work well, but I did not try that.