Gryphon Diablo 300 vs Vitus RI-101

So I've been itching to upgrade my amp. I currently have: PS audio Directstream -> PS BHK preamp -> parasound JC1 -> Focal Sopra 2.
    I narrow down to these 2 candidates. Any one with experience with both int amps can comment on them?Thanks!!!
128x128btbluesky

Showing 3 responses by dpac996

hello; I currently have Focal Sopra 2; I have a PS Audio Directstream (had the A21 Halo/JC2 combo, BHK and also LS27 so similar hardware experience as you) and currently run a luxman m900u amp (c900u preamp inbound); Previous to the Sopra 2’s I had Dynaudio Contour 60s; The Lux has a very "alive" and very transparent presence about it;
I personally do not like the synergy with the Sopra 2 and will be moving on from the Focals; With the Contour 60’s the tone and overall sound quality was far superior to my ears; I did a ton of research about the Gryphon Diablo 300 (was very close to acquiring) and, on paper, it seems the Focal synergy would be better, or perhaps the Luxman 590 AXii Class A integrated.

One thing I noted with the Sopra 2’s; I was surprised to find them about as efficient as my DYn 60’s; on paper that should not have been, but it’s what i’m experiencing. It actually seems that they like MORE power than the 60’s; go figure.

I would include the class A stuff from Pass Labs in your hunt; I had an XA30.5 and it was a wonderful amp on the Dyn 60’s. a velvety beautiful mid-range excellent dimensional aspects, sweet treble, that I think would have been a better match on the Sopra 2s; With the DSD/BHK and a Pass XA30.8 I think there is potentially excellent synergy;
You did mention 260.8 monoblocks, and they have about 35watts in class A, so that might be better...you already have monos, so you probably have stands too :)

I have only read this, and so it’s mere conjecture, but Naim might be too thin with the Sopra 2’s.
Another up and comer to check out would be the Hegel H590. Reported to be very powerful and smooth, yet highly resolving.

Please describe your acoustic and music characteristics; Room dimensions, listening position, spacing, damping (bare walls/floor heavy carpet...), genre of music, preferred listening volume...etc.

Also, what cables are you using, IC's, speakers, power?
Have fun!

@yyzsantabarbara 2 years ago I had the AHB2 with Dyn Contour S3.4 Le's and was initially impressed by the little amp, but overtime grew to dislike the sound; super duper detailed ...to a fault in my mind; There was something very odd about the presentation overall and I felt like I could not connect to the music. Not sure what it was, as I really wanted to like it but was easy enough to send back. Benchmark is a wonderful company.
Oh ya, the amp also ran out of headroom quickly; Having Sopra 2's which, to my ears are much more forward in the presence region than any Dyn I have ever heard, IMHO, I think that synergy might not be the best.
@caphill nice collection and great feedback on the Naim gear. I have always wanted to hear some of the amps; I was really curious about the Super Nait integrated some time ago; In looking at the insides of the units from the glorious world of Google pics, I am impressed that Naim seems to squeeze so much sound (statement based on numerous glowing reviews only!) out of compact implementations. In addition to the novel gain stage topology, I do like the idea of a single pair of push/pull devices; less matching headaches for one, and less expense overall. I like that they use the bottom plate of the chassis as heatsink; Very tidy. Perhaps someday I shall have a listen. I imagine that a Super Nait plus, say Dynaudio Special 40’s, would make a wonderful high value excellent sounding system.
Cheers and have a great weekend.