Gryphon Diablo 120, Luxman L-590AXII, Other? For KEF R11

I have a MyTek Manhattan II and Parasound A21+ right now paired with my KEF R11’s.  Use the MyTek as preamp/DAC/streamer - considering replacing it and the Parasound with an integrated.  Have the opportunity to pick up the Gryphon or the Luxman for a good price -any thoughts on what may be a better match for the KEFs?  Any other suggestions for a good match in a similar price range? Thanks!

128x128bruxesq

Even the new (and limited edition) L-595 didn´t match the R11 as great as the L590AXII. Its a excellent amp (class A too, a little bit more smooth in the highs maybe, but in the lower parts I did like more the L-590AXII).

It appears that you have compared the L-595SE to the L-590AXII. That’s great. Based on your description I can imagine the 595 to have a more robust or muscular presentation in the bass and/or midbass than the 590AXII. However, the treble of the L-595SE might sound a tad smooth or recessed in comparison to the L-590AXII.

If I could surmise correctly, I suppose a L-595SE with the treble performance of the L-590AXII might be a winner?

Good point with speaker matching. I prefer the L-590AXII matched to revealing and detailed Marten Duke 2 speakers. These speakers will show a harsh and brittle treble when matched with forward/bright/colored sounding amps. The Marten sounds just right with the Luxman, great clarity and detail without sounding overly bright in the treble. I didn’t like the Luxman/Harbeth match too much though, sound is a little too smooth and polite.

Thank you all for the input.  Sounds like a lot of positivity for either.

I’m somewhat leaning Luxman because the built in phono is supposed to be quite good and I may add a TT in the near future if the amplification gets me to where I want to be.

Anyone out there had any real world experience with the Gryphon and any KEF speakers?

Well, unfortunately the used Luxman I had an eye on has sold, so I'm really interested in any further comments on the Gryphon.

In general, it sounds like the Gryphon may have a more aggressive sound - if that translates to some better dynamics for the KEF R11, I could see that as a good thing.