Gryphon Diablo 120, Luxman L-590AXII, Other? For KEF R11

I have a MyTek Manhattan II and Parasound A21+ right now paired with my KEF R11’s.  Use the MyTek as preamp/DAC/streamer - considering replacing it and the Parasound with an integrated.  Have the opportunity to pick up the Gryphon or the Luxman for a good price -any thoughts on what may be a better match for the KEFs?  Any other suggestions for a good match in a similar price range? Thanks!

128x128bruxesq

Can't speak to the Gryphon, but 590AXII replaced over $10K worth of separates in my system, and I won't look back.  Get 'em while you can; discontinued but as you say probably available at a discount for dealers closing out their remaining inventory.

I believe Jay's Audio Lab on youtube did a video on having a pair of Gryphon amps repaired or refurbished. There is no authorized Gryphon dealer in the US so Jay had to spend $2,500 (I think) on overseas shipping alone to Gryphon on top of the repair quote. Luxman has authorized repair centers here in the states. Hudson Valley HiFi is a retailer and authorized repair place for Luxman. I believe Mike at Hudson Valley HiFi still has a 590 demo (He did about 3 weeks ago when I purchased my 595 from him).

I would like to squeak better bass performance from the KEFs and a warmer or lusher mid might be good with the otherwise very neutral MyTek.

I don’t know about the Gryphon Diablo 120 but have the Luxman L-590AXII. Just like Fatdaddy2, the Luxman replaced a costlier separates in my main system. The separates are now relegated to the secondary system which i rarely use.

Perhaps owners of the Gryphon Diablo 120 might be able to explain on the sonic attributes of the amp. I find the L-590AXII to be a neutral sounding amp with very little coloration. It won’t give you a big ballsy bass. What you get is a clean sounding bass which is taut and defined. You will hear all the layering and texture in the bass if it’s in the recording. Other amps might mask this layered or textured bass a little with the bass sounding smeared. In other words, the bass with other amps might sound fuller, bigger or ballsier while with the Luxman you get a leaner and cleaner bass but one that’s textured and detailed. The dynamics, punch and kick in the midbass and upper bass are all present in the Luxman but you just get a clean bass as opposed to boom boom bass with other amps which may sound more impressive or worse depending on musical preference.

Midrange is also very clean, perhaps leaning very slightly to warm. Treble is airy and detailed with a slight tube-like glow which is very nice. I use a quality(rather costly) power cord on the Luxman and the source is also quite decent.

I believe both Gryphon and Luxman are good amps and the choice will be dependent on system matching and listening preference. Good luck.

I recommend keeping separates rather than diving into mid tier integrateds. Perhaps get into a reference level amp like a used parasound JC5 and then get a preamp later on. I get the feeling that the equipment you are looking at would be more of lateral move than a step up.

this advice is misguided and incorrect in my opinion