Gryphon Diable 300 DAC vs. Lumin X1 DAC

Greetings folks,

I'm about to do an A-B test between the DAC in the Gyphon Diable 300 (integrated amp) versus using the DAC in the LUMIN X1 Streamer.  I'm doing my best at understanding the architectural / technical / specification difference between the two DACs before I actually get it all hooked up for listening.  This is working toward the potential purchase of the X1 as a streamer upgrade.

The Gryphon Diable DAC (a separate add-on purchase, btw), has a Sabre ES9018 High-End D/A converter, if that helps. Not sure what technical specs would be helpful here.

The Lumin X1 DAC has Dual ES9038Pro SABRE DACs featuring 140dB dynamic range. Plus a bunch more specs.

Anyway, would appreciate any insights you knowledgeable DAC-goners have about the difference in the two DACs.  Anything significant in the architecture of the two, of the components they use to build?  Yada Yada Yada

And no, please don't suggest any other models at this point.  This is an A-B comparison right now.  

Remember, this is just educating myself before the actual listening takes place.

Thanks in advance
pgaulke60

Showing 3 responses by low325

I have a Diablo 120 w/dac that I love.  But recently got a X1 for future upgraditis-purposes, if anything.  Lumins take so long to break in but so worth it.
@oczed - still waiting on xlrs. Though, im expecting the X1 to be an improvement. The optional Diablo DAC has been wonderful and I plan to keep it as a complete unit.
I know this isnt my thread, but I would say the Diablo DAC ( I have a Diablo 120) sounds pretty good to another DAC that I’ve been playing with, Lumin X1.  I’m sure there are subtle differences in each of the Gryphon built-in DAC, but they do seem to be very similar but built for different units.

I wouldn’t discount Gryphon and their DAC efforts but can totally get why theyre not considered often.

Lets see Gryphon built-in DAC is 4.5-6k depending on version.  Lumin X1 is 14k.  This logic isnt ideal, one can think of it this way…so section off the streamer from the Lumin.  Minus 6k for the ultimate streaming portion (it really is that good imo) and you have about a ~8k DAC section w/other goodies to boot (I’m fond of the X1 dont get me wrong).   The Diablo DAC has multiple digital inputs and it has adjustable filter settings.  Aside from that, the SQ of the Diablo DAC also has an effortless with big soundstage quality to it.  Very rich midrange and low end extension.  Between the X1 and the Diablo DAC, the latter has more depth.

Sorry for partially stealing the OPs thread - (maybe I’ll start another), but in my short experience comparing both DACs, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another built-in DAC in any of the Gryphon Amps/Preamps where applicable.