Grey amplifier Imports from Japan?

I have a feeling this has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. I am leaning towards a Luxman or Accuphase SS, class A/B integrated. Something like the Luxman 507.

Looking online, the savings importing from Japan against buying locally, are enormous. There are clearly, real risks,, the loss of warranty support, having to use a transformer to change the voltage, which must have the potential to degrade the sound.. Against that, brands have a reputation for reliability.

If anyone has bought from one of the Japaneses sites, can they decribe their experience? Thanks
david12

Showing 1 response by buconero117

Luxman sound? Give me a break. The sonic qualities of these Luxman products are a myth. It is reported that quite a few double blind tests conducted and published in Japan have proved Luxman product performance is indistinguishable from many other amps that are sold in Japan, many at lower price points. Why subject yourself to all that pain for a product that is very 'ordinary?' Move on to China where great sound and value is available.