Green Mountain Audio Europa Max Vs. Tyler Taylo Re

I am looking to upgrade my Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference monitor, and am considering GMA speakers. Specifically I am interested in either the Europa Max (Original Europa cabinet with Callisto drivers and crossover) or the Callisto. I was wondering if anyone has heard the tylers and GMAs or could offer some usefull insight. thanks
linaeum66
I heard the Callisto and it was stunning, a very good speaker, with no box coloration at all, if I were ever to get a monitor it would be hard to forget about the Green Mountain audition.
Hi
I think maybe the problem you find, said, sound a little and not so open, is due to the equipment, cable, room acoustics and not just the speakers.
I have heard the Tylers and they deliver music very close to the source. They are great speakers for the money and also compared to more expensive ones. I would start checking my room acoustics, the cables and at the end my source(power, cdp). Because I think Tylers are very open and they dont sound muffled not when I have listen to them.
But different places, differente gear, different sound
Best in your quest
ALAN
Linaeum66
Sorry for butting in here, but, It seems to me that if your Taylos sound "muffled" and "not open", then something is wrong somewhere in the chain. I own Tyler speakers (Linbrooks and F-1 Freedom) and if my speakers are representative of Ty's "sound", then muffled and not open are not characteristics of TA speakers. You might check your ICs or a possible malfunction somewhere along the line.
Just a thought.

good luck
Thanks for the input. I may be exaggerating a little on the Tyler's qualities that I described. I'm not saying that they sound like a blanket is in front of them or anything. I'm just feeling the upgrade bug lately and I feel like the tylers may be my first victim. I'd just like a speaker that is a little more open sounding and smoother.
Hmm... The muffled comment in particular really has me thrown... Is it possible that the sub crossover is too high (or the sub SPL level is too high)? Positioning could also have an effect on how "open" their sound is (I confess that they sounded plenty open when I was using them as my mains)... Not questioning what you are hearing at all, but just checking all the possibilities... I would hate for you to spend any more money if a little bit of free tweaking would work. :-)

As for the smoother comment, maybe you should look into the Vienna Acoustics or ProAc lines. I confess I did not like either, but they would definitely be characterized as "smoother" than the Tylers to my ears. Maybe they are closer to your preferences.

The dark horse candidate in your price range that I *did* like a lot (or at least I liked their big brothers) are the Merlin TSM MMs. I loved the sound of the VSM MX floorstanders, and the mini-monitors are supposed to deliver 90+% of the sound. They are smooth too, but unlike the VAs and ProAcs, I did not feel they lacked any emotion or detail. They may be a good candidate at 2.8K/pr. The floorstanders were incredible.

Regards,

---Dave