Greatest Rock Drummers

Given the subject line many names come to mind such as  Ginger Baker, Keith Moon, Phil Collins and Carl Palmer but, is Neil Peart the greatest rock drummer of all time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSToKcbWz1k
128x128falconquest
You guys crack me up with these "best in class" threads. Without the variety and talents of so many, many, great drummers, we wouldn’t even be having such a discussion.

To me, if the drumming serves the song as well as the rest of the band, it is "best" for that context. When it comes to art, "best" is an oxymoron.

You are of course right, Steve. Ringo was the best drummer for The Beatles, Keith Moon the best for The Who (though Zak Starkey, Ringo’s kid, is doing a fantastic job in The Who now. I saw Keith with The Who live twice, and he was a possessed madman. I mean that literally).

But seriously, take a look at Earl Palmer’s recording credits on the thread about him on the Steve Hoffman Forum. Astounding! If ANYONE can be called the best, it is he.

All the drummers mentioned here have their own, identifiable style, which is the important thing. It is said Buddy Rich thought John Bonham's technique was vastly over-rated, and did a spot-on imitation of him. But Bonham was a very influential drummer, THE most so of our era---the Gene Krupa of Rock.

But the talent of the musicians gets you only so far; if they are playing "right", they are serving the music first and foremost. If The Beatles songs hadn’t been so good, who would care about Ringo? The song is the same as the script is to a movie; sure, you need good actors to bring it to life, but without a good script you got nothin’. Forget good musician’s, give me good songs!

Jazz and Blues are very different musics, opposites in fact.

I can't believe you wrote that.
Ha, I wondered if that would rankle anyone! Yes, I am well aware that opinion flies in the face of the commonly accepted wisdom, with which I obviously disagree. I could explain, but one either gets it or one doesn’t ;-).