Greatest American Rock and Role Bands of ALL Time

I have run into several advertisements saying that Aerosmith was the greatest American R&R band. I have thought about this claim and asked around and realize it is not an easy choice. So many of the great rock bands are not American..i.e. Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Rush, etc.

But before going further, who should/should not be considered?

 I think “band” means not Elvis, Elton John, etc or other single acts, that is another thread. However I would count Ted Nugent since he really is a band but with his name as a title…same with Hendrix, since he usually played with a band.
 They need to write at least most of there own music (another thing that would preclude Elvis).
 “Rock” any thing from the 50s up to alternative (which I consider a derivative of rock). This would include pop rock, so the Monkey’s might be considered (if they were American).
 Heavy metal would be ok.
 they should sustain their appeal over a period of time even if they weren’t able to produce a lot of music…i.e. Buddy Hollie, Hendrix

Anyway, there is no perfect guide so if you have other ideas, no problem. But here are a few of the undisputed best…..(that is bait)

 Amerosmith
 Kiss
 Alice Cooper
 Ted Nugent
Journey
….hey, I don’t know, I really would have a hard time putting any of these in a top 10 list of all time worldwide so I need some help,

Who are the greatest American Rock Bands of All Time???????????? Who is THE Greatest of all time
bbtuna
Well put, Ben. When I first heard the Doors I was still living in NYC. They were a west coast band at the time. I was "blown away" by the quality of the playing, musical composition and the lyrics of the majority of their songs; and of course the voice of Jim Morrison. I had seen the Doors numerous times and it was always a crap shoot if they were performing great, bad or ugly. But when they were great, it was a show you'd never forget. When they were ugly (obscene, drunk and out of control) it was also a show you'd never forget. Unfortunately, I've also seen when twice when they completely sucked. Obviously, I never forget those either.
Although I am tempted to contradict what you say, especially about the Beatles solo, as my favorite John Lennon is in his early solo releases (NOTE; Two Virgins, Unfinished Music #2, and the Wedding album came out while he was still with the Beatles). Plastic Ono Band, his first solo lp, is a masterpiece. As was George's All Things Must Pass. Even McCartney's first lp was quite good, 2nd was acceptable, and then he slipped off into pop mush with no direction from Lennon. Still what you both say is true in respect to the synergy of the Doors. Jim would not be respected as much as he is today without the band he was in. In any thing I've said, I did not knock the Doors really, I critized Morrison for his life style (actually more so his timing), and letting it affect the Doors SO much. If Morrison could have held it together better, the Doors would be remembered more favorably today. I own all the Doors releases and box sets, it's not like I am not a fan. In fact, I have all of the video I know to exist, Feast of Friends, Are Open, The Doors, and all the stuff comercially available. I wasn't shooting from my ass on this, I honestly think Morrison screwed it up. Tom
I side tracked this train in a discussion about the Doors, which is not what this tread is about. I'm pretty sure the thread is asking if Aerosmith is the greatest American band?
If not, who is? Alice Cooper, The Allman Brothers, Dylan, or who???
Tom,
I agree on your assessment also on the early Beatle solo stuff(my favourites too) but they could not do it consistantly.........
I think I would agree that the Doors were fantastic. Jim Morrison is only one piece of the band- man were they tight. I have all the DCC CD's they did of the Doors and can't wait to hear them on vinyl.

Although some would not agree, people will look very hard at Alice in Chains in 10 years, much like Queen who were very ahead of their time. Staind will probably become the band of the early 2000's.

Interesting the best bands Rolling Stones, Beatles, etc came out of Britain.

Aerosmith is very hot now, but there was a time when they weren't cool.