Greatest American Rock and Role Bands of ALL Time

I have run into several advertisements saying that Aerosmith was the greatest American R&R band. I have thought about this claim and asked around and realize it is not an easy choice. So many of the great rock bands are not American..i.e. Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Rush, etc.

But before going further, who should/should not be considered?

 I think “band” means not Elvis, Elton John, etc or other single acts, that is another thread. However I would count Ted Nugent since he really is a band but with his name as a title…same with Hendrix, since he usually played with a band.
 They need to write at least most of there own music (another thing that would preclude Elvis).
 “Rock” any thing from the 50s up to alternative (which I consider a derivative of rock). This would include pop rock, so the Monkey’s might be considered (if they were American).
 Heavy metal would be ok.
 they should sustain their appeal over a period of time even if they weren’t able to produce a lot of music…i.e. Buddy Hollie, Hendrix

Anyway, there is no perfect guide so if you have other ideas, no problem. But here are a few of the undisputed best…..(that is bait)

 Amerosmith
 Kiss
 Alice Cooper
 Ted Nugent
Journey
….hey, I don’t know, I really would have a hard time putting any of these in a top 10 list of all time worldwide so I need some help,

Who are the greatest American Rock Bands of All Time???????????? Who is THE Greatest of all time
bbtuna
Trich727
So, Jim Morrison had a drinking problem. Many of the rock stars of that era used and abused drugs and alcohol, but were still able to produce great music. Although too many of them did die from drug related deaths.
Hey Rosstaman, you are right, many stars and actors have drinking problems, but Jim just didn't care when or where he let it get the best of him, repeatedly. It is pretty well known that Ray Manzarek "filled in" for Jim on vocals during live performances, because Morrison was too blitzed on numerous things to finish. The quote from Lester Bangs I used was because Lester knew Jim, and was so frustrated with him because of this. Jim was no doubt a shooting star, brilliant, but out of control. I still have a great deal of respect for Morrison as an artist, and given the circumstances, I don't know if I could have done any better under that pressure and limelight. But others did, and didn't let it affect them in public as much as Jim. Unfortunately some of them died from it anyway. Tom
Hey Ben, are you related to Glen? Yes I am an android and that is the name AOL chose to give me. You point out that the Doors have been slipping away in the public eye as an incredible R'n'R band, and you are right. As with Janis, her band was not incredible, and neither were Ray, Robbie or John. That is the case with many many bands, in fact the majority of bands. Janis switched from Big Brother to Full Tilt with no objection from the public, Jimi switched Noel out, then later Mitch, and again still produced incredible music. Few bands have had artistic quality individualy that would stand on there own. The Beatles, Cream, and Led Zeppelin are the ones that spring to mind, but there are more. The Doors had Jim, who was out of control a lot of the time, and left little in the archives as a result. Look at the results of trying to squeeze one more out of Jim's archives; An American Prayer, or the Doors without Jim. Not much to hang on to. Compare that to Jimi, who has had far more posthumus releases than when he was alive! And many of them are really good. As an android, it takes very little computing power to see why it is the way it IS. Tom Richards
Tom,
I agree largely with what you are saying about group dynamics(although I think you misunderstood my point about The VU) however I disagree about The Doors in general,I believe actually collectively they achieved a great sound therefore making them a group or band in the real sense of the word,I believe there was a synergy there and that the whole was more than the sum of the parts,obviously too they had a large part in the songwriting.
Morrison was a great vocalist which tends to get forgotten in the mists of his legend.
Let me put it this way to my mind Morrison was the focal point but you do tend to think of Morrison in terms of The Doors in a way that doesn't happen with Hendrix,Dylan and the Band and as you mentioned Janis Joplin.....to me that proves that they were a great band and not merely the backing group.
The fact that they didn't achieve much after Morrison's death isn't that surprising,even great musicians like The Beatles struggled to produce consistent quality output after their split.....................................
Well put, Ben. When I first heard the Doors I was still living in NYC. They were a west coast band at the time. I was "blown away" by the quality of the playing, musical composition and the lyrics of the majority of their songs; and of course the voice of Jim Morrison. I had seen the Doors numerous times and it was always a crap shoot if they were performing great, bad or ugly. But when they were great, it was a show you'd never forget. When they were ugly (obscene, drunk and out of control) it was also a show you'd never forget. Unfortunately, I've also seen when twice when they completely sucked. Obviously, I never forget those either.