greater resolution as an end in itself ??

having responded to a thread in the "digital" section concerning the ps audio perfect wave transport and dac combination, stimulated thoughts about resolution.

i own the ps audio combination alluded to above, as well as older cd players. i have compared my personal cd players with the ps audio combo and find that the older players are more forgiving, whil the ps audio combo seems to exhibit greater resolutionj.

it is my hypothesis that greater resolution, while possibly "improving" the sound of well-recorded cds, makes poor recordings sound worse.
thus, is greater resolution a boon or a bane ?
mrtennis

Showing 1 response by jeffb28451

About ten years ago I got to "the end" of the resolution chase with a certain system. Woodwind pads clicking, chairs squeaking, bad caps in mixing consoles, horrible sounding digital artifacts, poor splices, etc, etc.

I had a fairly nice album and cd collection that was then about 80% unlistenable/unenjoyable. I don't know that there is one answer, but I'll never go for resolution at the expense of a "musical" sounding system (whatever that means!).