Great Rock & Roll speakers?

I have a pair of Vandersteen 2 sigs with a DNA-1 & CJ PV10al. I have never been able to get the image proper with the speakers due to odd ball room placement. I really like the speakers but need something to image better in the same price class. I don't have a lot of room behind the speakers & don't want monitors. I really love the bass response of the speakers but had the idiot lights flash during a listening session once. Since then I have been paranoid to really crank them. I spoke with Richard & he explained how the lights work so it is obvious that I listen to alot of music that is heavy in the mid-bass region. So I need to find a speaker that is a good match to my DNA & CJ that will image well sitting close to the walls. The overall size of the speaker isn't much of a concern as long as they aren't much larger than the Vandy's. Speaker placement issues would pretty much rule out planar speakers & adding additional subs is not the direction I would like to take. Check my system here & let me know your thoughts.
fishwater

Showing 1 response by boband212

a more sensitive speaker is going to sound better at lower listening levels. and will play loud if you want. la scalas are the best speaker I ever heard. and you could drive those easily with a 30 to 45wpc amp. and normal listening volumes would take about 2 watt, maybe 3. those would be class too. legacy makes some great speakers that are efficient and 4ohm. a 4ohm speaker will vary from 4ohm to 8 ohm and average out about 6. an 8ohm speaker will dip as low as 4ohm at times. a good amp even if listed as 8ohm will handle 4ohm. the amp will differentiate the loads attached. speakers with lower sensitivity values require more power. more powerful amp costs more, and uses more electricity. not my first choice. about 89db or better. the greatest sounding speakers I ever owned were Advent 6003s. I drove those for years with a 20wpc Scott tube amp, and then with a 40wpc Jolida amp. That was real sounding. Axiom is a great buy. The M80 are fine and for $245 upgrade to real wood veneer with 30 day free in home trial. why would you not want to try these? shipping is free too. Everyone has a different opinion and favorite brand. So many of us though want to change after a few years. So? Let your ears be the judge and nothing else- forget graphs. If a speaker needs lots of power then it is making inefficient use of the power given it- like a car that gets low gas mileage. wasteful. get a pair of RF-7s.