Great musicians who should have been famous except....

I'm throwing this out there as an example. My 16 yr old aspiring drummer son asked me if I had anything in the vinyl collection tonight... apparently the U Tube video tutorials finally got boring. He is really good and practices non stop but it was refreshing when he asked about ideas for sound. In a moment of 30 years past clarity I put on the B side of Van Halen 1984… Is Alex Van Halen the most under rated rock drummer of all time? And is there a better lead in to ANY rock vinyl side than that???
telemarcer

Clapton could have gotten any drummer he wanted, and he chose Steve Gadd. Know why? Gadd not only has chops, he’s musical. He plays what the song calls for, no show-boating. What some don’t understand, apparently never will, is that musicality IS "pure ability". It’s what separates the men from the boys. Once again my analogy to sports is proven apropos. So many think playing drums is like running the quarter mile, when it is actually like interpretive dance. Are guitarist’s talents assed in terms of technique alone? If they were, John Hiatt would not have chosen Ry Cooder to be in his all-star band (along with drummer Jim Keltner and bassist Nick Lowe). Still, when Gadd plays a a solo, it’s a really good one, far better (even technically) than what Bonham, Moon, Baker, Peart, or AVH were/are capable of. But it is also a musical composition.

John Bonham’s famous kick drum triples (ask your son what that means) are played purely to show he can play them---they are musically unrelated to what any other musician is playing. Now listen to Levon Helm’s kick drum triples in "We Can Talk About It Now" on Music From Big Pink. See the difference? Some people do, some don’t. Clapton does.

Vinnie Colaiuta underappreciated? Not by drummers---he’s topped just about every pole in the world! He also works for Jeff Beck, a pretty high-profile gig. If the question is asked in relation to what the average person knows, ALL musicians are underappreciated. All they know is what they see on the TV.

It's true jazz drummers are unknown except to those that travel in that circle. I would consider Billy Cobham famous and recognized for his music and skill. He sells out shows whenever he plays, but isn't known to the general public. 
Drummers like Steve Gadd or Peter Erskine are at the top of their field, yet are unsung heros.

In the drummer vein, Lenny White was, in my view, outstanding when a part of Chick Corea’s band, Return to Forever. What a rhythm section, with White coupled with Stanley Clark!
I just wish guys like Philly Joe Jones had actually gotten paid during their careers.  
Elvin Jones, folks. Check out the lead-in to the third movement (Persuance) of Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme”, then look at pix from the studio date and the modest size of Jones’ kit... stunning.

Jack DeJohnette, too. Check out how he uses the tuning of his drums to contribute not only rhythmically, but also melodically, on Michael Brecker’s “original rays” on Brecker’s first release on impulse records.

and finally, if you are ever in NYC and have a chance to see any band that includes Lewis Nash on drums, drop everything and go!!!